Author Topic: Chair/backpack  (Read 10270 times)

Offline paulsemp

Re: Chair/backpack
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2020, 03:52:55 pm »
Dang, one of the coolest things I've seen on here in a long time.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2020, 06:19:25 pm »
Dang, one of the coolest things I've seen on here in a long time.

I agree
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2020, 07:58:05 pm »
Fantastic workmanship, Ed. Congrats!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 05:54:32 am »
Thanks....I've seen them for sale asking $500.00 or more.There are different versions of them too.Same fella makes snow shoes.He does the steam bending on forms on a table but uses nylon for the webbing.I'll take it with me to Mo Jam.I'll have a bunch of beef rawhide there then too.
It's another option shown for use of rawhide.Altogether close to 140' of rawhide was used while wet.I used 10' lengths splicing with holes and a loop instead of knotting.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 02:37:21 pm »
That is a beaut!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2020, 04:41:06 am »
Thanks fellas.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2020, 08:38:03 am »
Glad to see you back, Ed. You've been working hard. Growing a long beard isn't easy but it has given you time to be productive. Cool seat/pack frame.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Parnell

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2020, 11:03:04 am »
Oh man, that is slick!  What an interesting project and great work!
1’—>1’

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2020, 04:58:42 am »
Thanks Parnell....It was fun making it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stoner

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2020, 06:15:38 am »
That's a great build and some Great Craftsmanship. I have some old hand-me-down chairs from a family friend. They were  L.L.Bean chairs left outside and weathered. I can't seem to let them go, my wife thinks junk. Now I see the light at the end of the tunnel. There was a table too. But after she passed it diapered.

Where did you get the rawhide? Thanks John

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2020, 07:42:37 am »
Stoner....I make the rawhide myself from self  butchered beef cattle in my area.Laced in a frame/fleshed/and then dry scraped dehaired.The Amish here butcher their own livestock regularly and give me their hides.Robin and me eat pretty much eat mainly deer here ourselves but do like a good beef steak now and then.Every now and then I will make rawhide from another beef to replenish my supply.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,55371.0.html
Thick beef rawhide is rather expensive to buy.Around $15.00 a square foot.There are places on line that sell it.I've shown in the past posts some of the usefullness I've found for beef rawhide.This backpack/chair is just another example.I will have some beef rawhide with me at Mo Jam.
Sounds like a good worthwhile project to revitalize those LL Bean chairs.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2020, 11:21:27 am »
Curious, just how do Amish people dispatch their livestock?  Cut the throat?  They use one of them air guns like in No Country For Old Men?  Never considered that before...
1’—>1’

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2020, 12:57:03 pm »
Great work Ed! And excellent craftsmanship!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2020, 01:53:38 pm »
Thanks Pat...I liked your holsters too.Pro job on those.
Parnell....I've never asked them.I know they have guns as they deer hunt.Does it make a difference?There are a few Amish lockers around here too.I'm pretty sure they bleed them out and age the meat.They know how to take care of things properly.
I've shown them before the proper way to make rawhide/make bows/and brain tan deer hides,but they still don't do any of it.I'll take that back.They did make a few bows but they don't hunt with them.They know the beef hide is worth something otherwise they would throw it away.They are a busy lot and have other quicker ways of making money I imagine.
This paticular family of boys make enclosed buggies for other Amish.Generally they charge around $7000.00 a buggy.Pretty sure they make at least a half dozen a year.They take custom orders on them too.They are nice that's for sure.
They have a sawmill on the yard too.They will custom cut and plane any kind of wood for about anything a person would want.
They are top notch small engine repair mechanics too and run a dealership selling chainsaws.
They are into everything.They treat me fair and I treat them fair.
They charge half the price of English business's.Good people to know.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2020, 03:17:07 pm »
Interesting, Ed.  I watched them frame my bro-in-laws house in OH.  Interesting to see how they work and the social protocols they have.  Heck of a fine job, also.  I didn’t know they were ok with using hunting rifles.  I thought all firearms were out.  It doesn’t matter, just a curious thought.
1’—>1’