Author Topic: Some shoot shaft arrows  (Read 8307 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Some shoot shaft arrows
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2020, 08:58:35 am »
Cool.....I don't doubt multi flora rose cures faster than wood shoot shafts as it has a noticeably larger pith than wooden shoot shafts.I agree though that they make excellent shafts too.
I don't think multi flora rose is considered a grass like bamboo or hill cane yet though.Maybe a wood or some sort of shrub???Generally cane and bamboo seem to stay straighter easier than wood shafts in my experience and are considered a grass.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 10:29:09 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2020, 03:34:42 pm »
when you do your cane arrows, do you put a wood plug in the end before you taper for the glue-on point?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2020, 08:52:58 pm »
Yes....I use a section of a bamboo skewer.I just super glue it in there.Only the ones that need it though.Hill cane are top notch beautiful shafts.
BowEd
Ed

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2020, 08:26:41 am »
Those are really beautiful shafts. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2020, 07:50:24 am »
Thanks....The Jawge man.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2020, 09:05:13 am »
I used to plug the ends of cane shafts but don't anymore. I found it is not necessary. I cut in self nocks and add a wrap of sinew(thread will work too) and have never had a failure. I also use glue on points(commercial), trade points and stone points without plugging the ends. The sinew wrap takes care of that too. With glue on points I do use my belt sander with a taper jig to make the taper. I never had luck with the pencil sharpener type taper tool with cane shafts. Others may.
 Everyone has there own way of doing things and there is not necessarily a right or wrong way. If it works for you then do it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC