Author Topic: Ever bought a self bow?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline Drawknife

Ever bought a self bow?
« on: February 11, 2020, 01:21:10 pm »
While I'm learning to make self bows I had the idea that I should buy one to shoot now. Any recommendations? Been looking at gills bows. They look nice and have a super warranty. Any of yall ever bought a self bow?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.
Fred Bear

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Ever bought a self bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 01:42:53 pm »
I don't know if buying one while your learning will do much more than lighten your wallet up. Unless you really just want a self bow. If I was in the market to buy one I would talk to Weylin at Swiftwood. He is on here often. Good self bows cost a bunch, be ready.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 02:04:03 pm »
I don't know if buying one while your learning will do much more than lighten your wallet up. Unless you really just want a self bow. If I was in the market to buy one I would talk to Weylin at Swiftwood. He is on here often. Good self bows cost a bunch, be ready.

Probably just lighten wallet. But I have been thinking of going down primitive trail full time and at the moment have nothing primitive to shoot. Just was thinking that something primitive to shoot and aspire to would be good. Thanks for recommendation I'll look into it.
Fred Bear

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 02:27:52 pm »
I have two self-bows that I've bought.  One is a you-finish hickory flatbow from Crowshead archery.  I really like it.  Nothing fancy, and I don't know how long it will last, but it will get you shooting and it only costs around $120. 

The second is a black locust flatbow from Curt Brisky.  It cost about $300, and ended up being sort of a you-finish project too (I didn't like the color or the handle shape, so I redid them).  It is to date the only primitive bow I've ever killed anything with.  Shoots like a cannon.  He has some really nice looking bows in stock on his website for not much more than that, some for a bit less.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 03:01:21 pm »
While I'm learning to make self bows I had the idea that I should buy one to shoot now. Any recommendations? Been looking at gills bows. They look nice and have a super warranty. Any of yall ever bought a self bow?

My 2 cents, from an amateur,  it's worth considering if you have the budget. 

When starting out I really didn't know what I liked.  Part of the fun is the experimentation.  But having a bow made by an expert might help you figure out what you like. 

Comming from modern recurves, I was convinced that every bow needed an arrow shelf.  Took me a while to get over that and start shooting off my knuckle.   Now I won't even shoot the arrow shelved bows I made earlier

I was also convinced I liked a long bow, but now I fancy shorter flat bows.

If I could've had the opportunity to shoot a few different styles I may have gotten here via alot less staves.  Which if you can't harvest and season yourself, staves aren't cheap either.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 03:44:56 pm »
I'm all for supporting one of the builders on this site. But if you are on a budget and you're serious about learning, I would take that money and invested in tools. Even better yet I would get to one of the big primitive shoots. Where there's always bows being made. In a couple of days you would learn what will take you a year by yourself. Another advantage to getting to one of the shoots as you will see all makes and models and hear many different opinions. And to second what Chris said if you are looking for someone to build for you, I would check out weylin. He's been putting out consistently good work for a long time.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 04:18:18 pm »
paulsemp had the best idea, depending on where you live, Marshall in MI. Ojam in OK. Mojam in MO. or the TN.Classic in TN. You will see more selfbows at these events than anywhere I know and the folks are great about showing/teaching and letting you handle their bows.You will learn more in a few days than in months on your own, and with a little work go away with a shooting bow you made. ;) We built 78 bows last year at the Classic and not sure on numbers but all these other events I mentioned do the same, plus you get to meet a lot of like minded folks. That being said Weylin make a beautiful bow and has a good reputation as several others on here, I would suggest if you are intent on buying one, get one from a well know builder, all selfbows aren't created equal . :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

The Zen Master

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 04:30:16 pm »

We're walking the same trail.

I've been reading everything I could find on Native American (self) bows for almost 20-years, always with the desire of one day building one. I did not control my life well enough to make it happen until recently. Nevertheless, I bought an Eric Smith Plains Indian bow and in addition to being a very sweet bow, all it did was make me want to see if I can build one - even more. Like an inspiration! I have a Chuck Loeffler Comanche bow on order and am very much looking forward to it! In other words, I can't wait!

My vote is: get a bow. Worst case is you break the bow you're makin' and you still have an awesome bow left! ;)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:35:06 pm by The Zen Master »

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 05:42:42 pm »

We're walking the same trail.

I've been reading everything I could find on Native American (self) bows for almost 20-years, always with the desire of one day building one. I did not control my life well enough to make it happen until recently. Nevertheless, I bought an Eric Smith Plains Indian bow and in addition to being a very sweet bow, all it did was make me want to see if I can build one - even more. Like an inspiration! I have a Chuck Loeffler Comanche bow on order and am very much looking forward to it! In other words, I can't wait!

My vote is: get a bow. Worst case is you break the bow you're makin' and you still have an awesome bow left! ;)

I called up swiftwood and am looking at weylins bows he was awesome to talk to. Also still looking at gills and curts bows. I want to build a bow bad and talked to weylin about his class in addition to a bow. I feel like having one from a master will give me something to aspire to.  I feel as though class will cut down on the learning curve as well.

I'm starting to lean toward more and more primitive. I was going to buy a new custom bow but I think a custom self bow is the ticket.  Also it will solve my left right issue since I shoot bows with both hands.  And a shelfless bow could help me take advantage of this.

Also definitely want to go to the tennessee classic at some point.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 05:46:33 pm by Drawknife »
Fred Bear

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 08:57:01 pm »

Then why wait??!!! set your calander for it!!! there is also the Marshalls Primitive rendevous in Marshalls MI. and then there is also the MOJAM in Missouri. theres also the classic. so theres stuff all over and in the summer. Set your callander for one of those and do it!!! thats what I did and it was the best weekend of my (short) life!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 09:18:55 pm »

Then why wait??!!! set your calander for it!!! there is also the Marshalls Primitive rendevous in Marshalls MI. and then there is also the MOJAM in Missouri. theres also the classic. so theres stuff all over and in the summer. Set your callander for one of those and do it!!! thats what I did and it was the best weekend of my (short) life!!

Ok I'll check the calendar.
Fred Bear

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 09:22:57 pm »
Sorry if i seem a little pushy but bro, its worth the time. you will never regret it. just dont be shy like me when your there...  )-w(
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Drawknife

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 10:52:06 pm »
Sorry if i seem a little pushy but bro, its worth the time. you will never regret it. just dont be shy like me when your there...  )-w(

You are fine. Pushy when you have experience and wisdom to share is perfectly acceptable. I'm here to learn all I can so bring on the wisdom. I have been looking at the tn classic for a couple of years. I havent been able to go because of work. This year for tn is out. But if my house sells here shortly then I'll be able to go to all of them from here on out. I definitely want to go bad.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:59:56 pm by Drawknife »
Fred Bear

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2020, 08:08:33 am »
Another take; I only shoot the bows I made, once you make a bow it will be your go to bow more than likely, anything you buy will gather dust.

I have had people want to trade bows with me but I know I wouldn't shoot their bow more than a few times to test it, I am in tune to my bows.

Make a bow, if you find it is not your thing, buy a bow.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2020, 09:04:04 am »
Eric has a great point - there is really something to be said for making your own, even if it is not perhaps as well made as one by a master bowyer.  Of course, I'm pretty sure Eric's bows are also made by a master bowyer...I also think it is nice to have one you KNOW is great as a way to measure your progress if you are making your own.