Author Topic: first fire hardened bow  (Read 4289 times)

Offline maitus

Re: first fire hardened bow
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 11:20:08 pm »
That's more so that they dry soft again.  I'm not sure anyone would call buckskin waterproof.
Ok, waterproof probably isn't the right word. It really won't turn into the rubber but if it dries soft, it means that the pores will be closed for water and its more water resistant.

bownarra

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 01:57:49 am »
even with this it’s the first bow i’ve made that returns to an inch of reflex immediately after in stringing.  it just feels more responsive in the hand. and is a good light bow.  now the performance is good but living in the north east the best part is the hydrophobic quality.  i left it in my basement for a few days with no finish in it to test it.   i strung it immediately after and shot it repeatedly and had no negative effects.  the relative humidity in my basement was 65 percent.

Thats a nice bow! from what i can see the tiller looks nice and Its great you got a good bow!

I have to say it will take way longer than a couple of days for the humidity to have a negative effect on the wood even on a wood like hickory that is hydrophilic. a wood sucking up moisture is more like a process and not a sponge. i think it would take the same amount of time to dry the bow, to be able to wet the bow with humidity.
Wrong it needs only a few hours. The moisture only has to 'get into' the outer 1/16th of the wood. It also takes a good bit longer to dry out than it does to soak up :)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 07:26:09 am »
I looked back on my post yesterday i think and went "damn what was i thinking!!" I really dont know what i was!  :P :-[

I still got a real lot to learn! and i really gotta shut my mouth sometimes and just watch! I dont have to post a reply to everything. especially with my limited knowledge! sorry!   :-\ :-[

Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 08:01:39 am »
Looks good.

Just out of curiosity how much reflex did the bow keep, percentage wise.  I just finish a heat-treated HHB flatbow that kept 50% of the reflex I put in.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Enharrington

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 08:37:19 am »
i cooked two inches into it.  it kept an inch.   
"I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear"-doc holiday

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2020, 04:17:52 pm »
That's good.  That process seems to be on par with a good heat-treat
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2020, 07:38:45 pm »
Good subject your investigating.Your bow looks good.I just got through heat treating an inch and a half overall deflexed elm myself.Curious to see see if it keeps at least half the reflex myself now.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2020, 07:55:12 am »
Marc does a net loss of half the reflex apply to Osage too?
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!