Author Topic: Local Woods in Alberta?  (Read 1538 times)

Offline mmattockx

Local Woods in Alberta?
« on: February 27, 2020, 10:07:01 am »
I'm located in central Alberta fairly close to the Rocky Mountain foothills. Since it takes a fair while to age a stave to a useful point I might as well get started on collecting a few now for future use. I have a chainsaw and a truck and I currently do some harvesting of wood for general woodworking and wood turning projects, so collecting a stave or two shouldn't pose a problem.

The question is what woods should I be looking for that will make a decent bow? The hardwoods in this area are pretty limited, with the most common being aspen/black poplar and it is very soft as hardwoods go.

Are there any local/semi-local members here that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline DC

Re: Local Woods in Alberta?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 10:18:24 am »
Is there any Yew up in the Kananaskis?

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 10:41:12 am »
Saskatoon(service berry) makes a good bow. Not sure what else is up there. Birch and green ash?

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 11:11:17 am »
Is there any Yew up in the Kananaskis?

Good question. I don't think so, but will look into that. I am about an hour from K-country so it is pretty accessible for me.

Saskatoon(service berry) makes a good bow. Not sure what else is up there. Birch and green ash?

Saskatoon, huh? Now that is all over the place. I will have to start paying more attention to the bushes on the side of the road. Some birch, not sure about the ash. I think I have seen some local saw mills advertising local ash, but I'm not sure of that.

There is quite a bit of mountain ash used as a decorative tree in residential areas, would it be useful if I could find a straight piece long enough? They are usually not that big and typically pretty twisted and forked up, though.

Something I forgot to mention is I seem to be gravitating more towards laminated bows. Does this change what I should be looking for much? My impression is it should broaden the range of useful woods but that is just from the reading I have done.

Mark

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 12:16:29 pm »
I’m in Vancouver, vastly different here in regards to bow woods.
As Chuck mentioned, Saskatoon berry is a good hardwood, if you can find a stave long and straight enough.  Blackfoot would use choke cherry too

Offline bushboy

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 01:13:27 pm »
I know Robert Edwards likes paper birch...he's in Ponoka,the the guy that just did the alone the beast on discovery.if you ever make it to manitoba I could set you up with some white elm.....some of the very best bow there is...bush.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 02:28:23 pm »
I know Robert Edwards likes paper birch...he's in Ponoka,the the guy that just did the alone the beast on discovery.if you ever make it to manitoba I could set you up with some white elm.....some of the very best bow there is...bush.

There is birch around here, but it isn't super common in my area. I will have to look around and see if I can find some that I can harvest. They certainly grow nice and straight for the most part. Supposedly white elm does grow here (according to the interwebs, anyway) but I can't say I have noticed any.

I have found that a local lumber yard has hickory boards. Would one of those be worth taking a shot at doing a board bow from if I find a good looking piece?

Mark

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 02:51:15 pm »
Look for this in a board.....one option ...
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Canuck Bob

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 10:21:14 pm »
There are some sellers on Kijiji Calgary selling Elm yard tree lumber and slabs. They are American Elm which research indicates a good bowwood.