Author Topic: Dalton  (Read 1869 times)

Offline Wolfmanjack

Dalton
« on: February 15, 2020, 02:07:23 pm »

My attempt at a dalton.  I may make a knife out of it.  Material I got from Sasquatch.  I don’t know what kind it is?  I heat treated it and it slicked right up.  I’m still getting some stacks/hinges especially as the piece thins down.  Any suggestions to avoid this as the piece thins?

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Dalton
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 03:28:22 pm »
Looks good

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 04:24:12 pm »
Hey I’ve got some of that material! Yours looks much better than mine though. I change to steep flakes when I get too thin or else I get tons of hinges. I think it’s the lack of material so the flake isn’t as thick, the point is flatter which it needs the convexity to travel, andddddd lack of power able to be applied IN before popping the flake off. I just left a complete row of hinges on an arrowhead and that’s why I figured my issues were anyways.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 07:36:16 pm »
Looks good to me wolfman. I have the same problem when they get thin. I think it’s like tracker said. The flatter you get the easier to get steps. Couple that with the problem of putting to much pressure and snapping point in two. I tend to not use enough pressure to make my flakes travel as far as I’d like.
Maybe somebody else can give you a cure to the problem. I’m thinking that’s a pretty nice point in the mean time.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 08:35:58 pm »
Very nice work wolfman.  Looks a little like Texas rock.