Author Topic: A Shooting Conundrum  (Read 9581 times)

Offline Andrea S

A Shooting Conundrum
« on: April 20, 2008, 04:07:35 pm »
So...though I am going to school in Montana, I will be returning home to SW Chicago over the summer. Hopefully, it will be with a nice Plains-style shortbow that I am making with the gracious and generous help of Walt (Slivershooter). Now, I will be living in a small south-side 1br apartment with my guy, and our "backyard" is a patio just big enough to fit a Weber grill on, I hope (summer without barbecue is a tragedy beyond tragedies). Now, near my work and where my parents live, there is an archery range/shop. I've been in there once before, and it's chock full of wheelie-dealie bows and other intimidating newage materials. But it's pretty much the only place I'll have to shoot.

Talk about being the odd one out...a gal, a dainty one at that, with a bow made of natural materials, an American Indian styled one at that, and there for the pleasure and relaxation of target shooting, not the joy of killing furry/feathery critters (though I have absolutely no problem with those that do, animals are tastey and make nice arrows). Now, I must say that I have something of my mother's tongue and sharp wit, but sometimes that can get me in trouble. I don't think it's a good idea to go around anticipating everyone you meet is going to be unfriendly, but I think it would be silly to be unprepared for some derisive remarks. Truth is, I don't know how I would/should react.

Any tips? I'm sure many of you have dealt with this before.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: A Shooting Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 04:33:05 pm »
If you feel comfortable enough with shooting at "their" range, show them what "REAL" archery is all about. Teach them about your archery equipment. I'll bet many of them will listen. Being able to concentrate well enough to shoot under adverse conditions(skeptics with wheelie-dealie bows and new-aged materials for example) will prepare you for good shooting anywhere.  ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

jamie

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 06:47:34 pm »
dont give them the time of day if they have stupid remarks. not worth your energy. the best comeback i ever gave to a wheel shooter was the day i placed a bloody stone point in his hand and told him i had just removed it from a deer i stalked to within 15 yards of. i told him if he wanted to learn how to "hunt" id show him. ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 07:28:12 pm »
Just be yourself Andrea and don't worry about what others think. March to your own beat and have fun.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 09:31:24 pm »
like jamie said. dont let them think there better than you with their bows they spent hundreds on. some dudes might even want to shoot on learn how to shoot stick.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 11:39:50 pm »
i went and shot at the local bass pro range. a highschool football player walkin around basspro with a big stick and what looks alot like an insideout rabbit wit arras sitckin outa his hind parts hanging from his belt walkin around bps is about as out of place as you can get. it was alot of fun actually, people seem to be more in aw of the fact that people still shoot those things than insultive(new word) about it. they were even more shocked when i put a half dozen arras in the neck of a 3d deer at 20 yards. (yea, i show off.) just go in and shoot ur stick, no one will be negative ;). of cource bein a 6ft 4 300lb monstrosity gives me alittle more confidnece than most people. ;D
lets just shoot it

nailbender

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 10:43:23 pm »
  During the winter, I go down to the local Gander Mountain to shoot every now and then. People are always amazed and impressed that someone can make a bow out of a piece of wood. I have yet to encounter someone who is derisive or insulting. Even the guys who run the archery pro shop there are impressed. I would say just don't go into it expecting the worst. You may be pleasantly surprised by the interest people show.

Dale

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:55:35 pm »
yup. tha turth. people are more amused and amiring than insulting.
lets just shoot it

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 11:02:58 pm »
Be proud of your equipment and the fact that you made it.. if they give you any grief ...which is rare, explain to them that you have graduated from the training wheels on your bow and you are a PRIMITIVE ARCHER, hand them the latest issue and see how long before you are joined by others who would like to shoot real bows. Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 11:12:53 pm »
...yup. hawk be right.
lets just shoot it

kdub

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 11:45:11 pm »
Hey were in the same boat, I live in a 1 bdrm apt too.  And I I sometimes shoot at an archery shop full of wheelie bows. For the most part I have never had anyone make fun of me or my equipment , at least to my face.  I have had people talk to me about my bow, and one guy even went out and bought a vintage recurve after seeing me and my buddy shoot.  hey its a step in the right direction.  I have found various outdoor spots to do a lot of my shooting but you should be fine in the archery shop, and if they give you any lip tell them about all your really big redneck buddies from Texas who are gonna come up there and give them a whoopin'

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 11:52:17 pm »
and me! im a big redneck, well, i guess coonass. i from louisians. i like breakin peeples face.
lets just shoot it

kdub

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 11:58:06 pm »
Alright tell em ur boys from Louisians and Texas r cumin up der to break peeples face.  :'(

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 12:01:52 am »
Guys ifn yer gonna break "peeples " faces at least spell it right ! Its peoples ! ;D............bob

kdub

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 12:02:39 am »
are you calling me ignert?  ;D