Author Topic: Not my hunt  (Read 4982 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Not my hunt
« on: February 20, 2020, 01:22:29 pm »
It was impressive though watching this big golden eagle messing up these coyotes. They were on private or I woulda dropped one for him.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Not my hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 02:08:19 pm »
Too cool! Hopefully he pegged one of them rascals before he gave up or they got away.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 02:37:55 pm »
I recently talked with a master falconer that told me a story about being brought a golden eagle by California authorities. It seems the bird had been tethered in a barn for several years and they guy would throw stray cats and dogs in once in a while for bloodsport. They wanted him to re-train the bird to hunt on it's own and be released. But the bird was food imprinted on dogs and cats, not safe to release into the wild.

He worked the bird on coyotes out in the California desert for a while until the coyotes in the area were either gone or crazy wise to the game. (Brother 'Yote ain't stupid, ya know!) Eventually he got the bird taking jackrabbits regularly and it was banded and released. It lived 7 more years before it was electrocuted somewhere in Oregon. Meanwhile, it had stayed out of trouble with people's pets.

I commented that hunting coyotes with eagles must be a pretty exciting game. He said it was really over fast, not a very exciting flight.

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 06:25:25 pm »
I recently talked with a master falconer that told me a story about being brought a golden eagle by California authorities. It seems the bird had been tethered in a barn for several years and they guy would throw stray cats and dogs in once in a while for bloodsport. They wanted him to re-train the bird to hunt on it's own and be released. But the bird was food imprinted on dogs and cats, not safe to release into the wild.

He worked the bird on coyotes out in the California desert for a while until the coyotes in the area were either gone or crazy wise to the game. (Brother 'Yote ain't stupid, ya know!) Eventually he got the bird taking jackrabbits regularly and it was banded and released. It lived 7 more years before it was electrocuted somewhere in Oregon. Meanwhile, it had stayed out of trouble with people's pets.

I commented that hunting coyotes with eagles must be a pretty exciting game. He said it was really over fast, not a very exciting flight.

That's Faaaaaaascinating
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 07:36:48 pm »
Look up on YouTube "Mongolian Eagle Hunters". Don't quote me but I believe it's golden eagles they take from the nest young and raise them to hunt foxes for fur. These guys ride around on Horseback with eagles on their arm and when they find a fox they make a call. The eagle takes off and takes down the fox. Extremely cool to watch. I certainly wouldn't mess around with the guy on horseback with a big eagle on his arm

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 09:35:37 pm »
I watched a PBS show about the Mongolian golden eagle hunters a few nights ago and the American woman falconer that apprenticed with them. Cool stuff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 05:58:32 am »
Look up on YouTube "Mongolian Eagle Hunters". Don't quote me but I believe it's golden eagles they take from the nest young and raise them to hunt foxes for fur. These guys ride around on Horseback with eagles on their arm and when they find a fox they make a call. The eagle takes off and takes down the fox. Extremely cool to watch. I certainly wouldn't mess around with the guy on horseback with a big eagle on his arm

I've watched that episode, it was very cool.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 08:29:50 am »

Sad but very cool that he was able to re-train him.

I think hawks, falcons, and eagles are the coolest things to watch and they are very pretty. we used to have bald eagles at our city zoo. don't know what happened to them. they were probably there to breed and the healthy ones were released but one had a broken beak. maybe ill ask around.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 08:36:00 am »
I watched a PBS show about the Mongolian golden eagle hunters a few nights ago and the American woman falconer that apprenticed with them. Cool stuff.

Shoot, I missed that one Pat.  I usually catch them.  Hmm, have to watch for that.

On a side note, did you all catch the 'Seven Worlds One Planet' show and the walruses/cliffs scene?  Sheesh! :o  I'll say this...Walruses weren't meant to fly!
1’—>1’

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 10:18:43 am »
I did, Steve-o. Violent is the only word to explain it.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 10:48:12 am »
We’re in the middle of Bald and Golden eagles winter range so we’re usually infested with them and we have a good few that stay year round. I woulda loved to see that eagle end up taking one of those yotes down but he ended up getting bored or something and flew onto a cliff. I tried driving around and found a younger one claiming a ranchers cow that didn’t make it. This 8 degree stuff is warmer than usual but after insanely warm winter it shocked a lot of critters I think.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 10:49:04 am »
The pictures are a lot clearer on my phone, really have to reduce them to post

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2020, 10:52:42 am »
Close up

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2020, 02:12:38 pm »
I appreciate you sharing and starting this thread. I love this type of stuff.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 11:52:16 pm »
We have quite a few in this area and in fact one of the local archery ranges is on "Eagle hours" during the nesting season!  Used to be a roosting area along the local river until some idiot decided to build a "country club golf community"!  The Eagles lost! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry