Author Topic: 2019 Oregon Coast Blacktail(s) Season  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
2019 Oregon Coast Blacktail(s) Season
« on: November 04, 2019, 04:28:46 pm »
  This year I didn’t really see any bucks active enough during shooting hours to justify sitting in a blind for the early season. So I decided to hunt the late season, which paid off and is generally more exciting.
On the way in I bumped 5 bucks fighting over a few hot does. which got my blood moving. When they ran up the ridge I went around the side found a really used runner trail and set up my blind 20 or so yards from that. Then 10 mins went by a spike fork that I had bumped earlier walked by and right behind him a decent 2x3. in fact it seemed all the deer that I had jumped prior where coming along the trail. most likely headed back to the side of the ravine they bed on. if you know a bit  about the ghost of the pacific they generally take awhile to reach 4x4 status, which is the common maximum of tines they get, but not unusual to have 1 or 2 more. Then  as they get past their prime they lose points but not mass. so when you see one you can generally guess the order on which he ranks on the mountain, and get a good guess on age. Any blacktail under 7 and above are easier to tell at first glance.
after a few more minutes 2 more gentlemen bucks followed then by a group of does. Right behind them was the spicy hot and bothered buck that was number 2 on my shooters list. I had only been in the blind 20-30 minutes at this point. Was 8:30am and I took the shot. first hour out and it was done. There is no way to describe the action on the way in to my little nook, not only bumping a brawl but having deer jump across my wheeler trail and spotting deer up in the cuts and field it seemed like everyone was out and about at the same time. it was a great season, already looking forward to next year. Anyways he’s not as heavy as last years buck, but a good 163lbs 3x4 he’s almost there with one tine but it’s shorter than an inch lol don’t count. I got him aged around 9 so a definite good eater. I never did find the arrow. this years gear was the usual 75grain agate points with the best shafting material around Surewood Douglas Fir tapered shafts. and my 78# Yew bow.

After that it was Rifle season in my unit and my Mother who couldn't hunt last season bought a tag and asked if i would be her shooter because of her bad shoulder (which is what kept her from hunting the previous season) well her shoulder might not be all that good anymore but her eyes work just fine. she spotted this guy just as he was poking his head out of the timber at the edge of the ridge above us. the best part was after the shot he ran halfway to us, so it was half the trek to go and get him:) anyways im looking forward to reading and hearing about everyone else's season.
thanks for looking and have a good season Gentlemen! wishing everyone success in their endeavors!

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 11:18:03 am by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: 2019 Oregon Coast Blacktail Season
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 09:08:42 pm »
Congratulations!  That's a fine buck.  Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 10:58:40 am »
congratulations! Beautiful buck!!!

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 11:24:40 am »
Wow - two nice ones! 

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 11:50:51 am »
Dang Nice bucks! I’ll be looking again for one come Thanksgiving. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 05:25:29 pm »
congratulations,, nice shooting too

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2019, 07:00:00 am »
Beautiful bucks! Congrats!
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 03:18:51 pm »
Thanks gentlemen:)

Dang Nice bucks! I’ll be looking again for one come Thanksgiving. Ed

Right on bud! Good time for some less than aggressive grunting
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 04:33:01 pm »
Nice job, beautiful buck and loved the story. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 05:20:49 pm »
I thought I replied to this one but I don't seem to have.

Nice hunting Bryce.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: 2019 Oregon Coast Blacktail(s) Season
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 09:35:09 pm »
Nice job, beautiful buck and loved the story. ;)
 Pappy
Was very eventful morning, in all my years I’ve never seen that many blacktails out and about  during the daylight. Wish I knew how to paint a better story lol
But thanks man:) my moms buck(the 3x3) was 3 years younger but only 18lbs lighter should hold her over for a bit.
Enjoying your hunting post bud! I love the tenderness of does. Wish we could still hunt em, there’s a few nice ones. We only get one a year though:/

I thought I replied to this one but I don't seem to have.

Nice hunting Bryce.
Bjrogg

Thanks man! I’ve been fortunate these last few years.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline portlandfire

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 12:00:50 am »
Congratulations for a great year.  Now it's the elks' turn!  Go get um!

Offline HH~

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2020, 08:02:33 am »
Nice BT. Love hunting them. When rut gets goung its fun.

They rut late where i hunted Dec-Jan. You find the right spot in cover it can happen really fast. Hard deer to hunt for sure.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW