Author Topic: sinew - a little lateral thinking?  (Read 2518 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: sinew - a little lateral thinking?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2020, 06:48:15 am »
So, I have 4 inches of natural reflex. If I did like normal and reverse string the bow as the  sinew cures then I could have 5 inches or more of reflex. If I clamp the bow down to 1 inch reflex and sinew it then I could slowly wind out the clamps and let the bow go back to its 4 inches reflex, the sinew would still be compressed into the bow but tbe bow will not gain any extra reflex

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2020, 07:20:55 am »
It won't be "compressed"  it will just be moved like a pushed rope.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2020, 07:26:01 am »

Remember that 1% extension or compression :) You simply can't get around that fact.

The point of the sinew is to get around that fact.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2020, 07:39:50 am »
Have you considered using rawhide?Using a primitive stringer to string the bow works well.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 07:46:22 am »
I thought that you waited a while for the glue to gel, then wound in the reflex so that the sinew would not be able to slide around?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2020, 07:59:46 am »
Would it be possible to add deflex at the handle?  It's probably too late at this point, and I don't know what sort of handle you have...just a thought.  Using a stringer like Ed mentions may be the best bet.

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2020, 08:23:25 am »
I thought that you waited a while for the glue to gel, then wound in the reflex so that the sinew would not be able to slide around?

That's the thought but gelled sinew doesn't have any linear compression resistance.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2020, 12:03:35 pm »
   you dont have to reverse brace to put sinew,, just put it on there,, and you will end up after tillering and shoot in,, with about 3 reflex,,maybe 2 depending on your draw and poundage,,and how much you put on,,
if you put 500 grains,, I would say 2 inches,, if you put 1000 ,, maybe 4,,, no need to reverse reflex,,
or the other thing you are talking about,,
    if you want to deflex the bow to put the sinew,, it wont hurt anything,, but wont accomplish anything either,,
    if you are worried about too much reflex,, just heat the bow and bend it out,, I will say in my experience ,, making sinew bows for about 30 years,, the ones with no reflex will shoot well and smooth and kill a deer,, but the ones that hold some reflex will perform better and shoot harder,, sinew bows are a different animal,, the stretch of the sinew acutally puts less pressure on the belly,, of course past a certain point it could crush the belly and need horn ,,
but moderate reflex is not gonna crush the belly,, 2 inches is definitely not pushing the limit at all,,
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 12:40:29 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline maitus

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2020, 04:24:02 pm »
My logic says that if You lay sinew onto the straight bow or onto the reflexed bow which is pulled to straight, the sinew will dry and shrink exactly the same way and You need exactly the same force to stretch this sinew. You can look on that like this: You will dry two similar bundles of sinew separately from the bow somewhere on the plastic for example. After drying these two bundles are completely similar. Now You glue one of them onto the straight bow. In this case You must pull the straight bow into the reflex and the bow limb will work against the sinew, so the limb is pulling the the sinew back instead of You :). The other bundle You will glue onto the reflexed bow and there is no need to pull the bow to reflex because the reflex already exist and bow limb will work with sinew together in same direction. In last case the limb will not help You to pull sinew and You must use more force to pull the reflex of the wood and the reflex of the sinew.
 To back the bow which is prereflexed with sinew, pulling it staight before laying the sinew, seems to be a good idea. It gives more draw weight and is faster for sure. Sorry for stealing but I will make my next bow exactly in this way :).

Sorry for horrible use of English :D....
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 04:32:23 pm by maitus »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2020, 04:51:50 pm »
sinew is not logical sometimes,, :) more draw weight does not always translate into better performance,
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 04:55:54 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline maitus

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 04:59:17 pm »
sinew is not logical sometimes,, :)
Yes I know that :). If to look how the juniper bow will bend after adding a sinew backing, then its really not logical, its magical :)...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 05:08:27 pm by maitus »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 05:35:19 pm »
yes magical for sure,, :)