Author Topic: Another Little One  (Read 3211 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Another Little One
« on: February 25, 2020, 02:13:49 pm »
Tri Flow obsidian. I managed to keep all three colors. Red,Black and clear. Front part of white tail jaw bone I had left over from a different handle.

Probably try to make a stand of some kind.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: Another Little One
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 07:06:36 pm »
Looks good BJ

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 07:47:32 pm »
Looks good! Homemade pine pitch to haft it? If I do make it to the buttes all I’m grabbing is tri flow, dacite, and I had found some gold sheen tri flow cross.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 10:42:11 pm »
Cute li'l thang!  Nice job!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:44:18 pm »
Pray tell, where are the glass buttes?  Likely more than a day's drive from Colorado! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 06:17:03 am »
Thanks Rob.

Tracker I used a dab of JB weld epoxy. I have used homemade pine pitch glue in the past,  but I had a few bad experiences when I transported my stuff to a presentation and after sitting in my hot pickup cab the pine pitch melted. I use at least a dab of epoxy now. I can ad a dab of pine pitch over top if I want but I the jb weld looks pretty similar. There are things I liked about pine pitch better though. It sets up faster and you could always reheat and adjust or remove point.

Thanks Jerry. It is a cute little knife. It’s hard to capture the beauty and colors of the blade in a picture.
Glass Buttes is in Oregon. From what I’m told rivers of obsidian of all colors. I believe it’s on federal land so not legal to charge admission or have vendors set up, but a gathering is held annually and knappers show up from all around. I’ve never been there, but would love to someday.

Hope you make it there Tracker. My cousin thinks it’s not going to work with his schedule to make it to the gathering, but he wants to go on his own looking when he gets a chance

Bjrogg

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 09:44:26 am »
Hawk I made it from Denver to my home up here in northern Washington in a day, you can make it. Haha we should have our own primitive archer gathering since I won’t make it to the knappin either. Map says 15 hours from Denver to the buttes. The buttes are just west of a tiny town called Riley Oregon. It’s 70 miles east of bend. I wish I had my old phone, I have pictures and all the ground in the photo is obsidian and if you dig down there’s boulders the size of VW bugs of obsidian! It’s awesome. The dacite pits we didn’t explore much but we found a few nice chunks just laying around.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 11:16:12 am »
thats a nice blade bj!! just a question, whyd you make that into a blade instead of an arrowhead??

Hawk I made it from Denver to my home up here in northern Washington in a day, you can make it. Haha we should have our own primitive archer gathering since I won’t make it to the knappin either. Map says 15 hours from Denver to the buttes.

Im all in!!! we can get everyone in the midwest area!! the drive can be a real killer to tenesee and Michigan!! do you wanna host jerry??!!! :o ;) ;D

Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:39:12 am »
thats a nice blade bj!! just a question, whyd you make that into a blade instead of an arrowhead??

Hawk I made it from Denver to my home up here in northern Washington in a day, you can make it. Haha we should have our own primitive archer gathering since I won’t make it to the knappin either. Map says 15 hours from Denver to the buttes.

Im all in!!! we can get everyone in the midwest area!! the drive can be a real killer to tenesee and Michigan!! do you wanna host jerry??!!! :o ;) ;D

I really don’t know why Russell. I was planning on a arrowhead but I thought by the time I finished it up I would probably have lost more of the red than I wanted to and halving arrow shaft would have covered up some more. I had this piece of jaw bone left over from a different knife handle and it just seemed to fit. I did think about shortening the jaw bone and using it for a necklace like tracker did. I would have made it a arrowhead if I had done that. I liked this though.
Bjrogg
PS if I go to glass Buttes it’s going to be with a 3/4 ton or better truck.lol preferably with a hoist.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 07:14:26 am »
Very nice
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 11:18:50 am »
I don't think that 15 hours includes pit stops rest breaks, etc!  I barely made it to MoJam in 15 hours driving solo!  100 mile coffee doesn't work with a 50 mile bladder >:D (lol)!  And the highway patrols frown on 100 mph driving, even on the open road.  I will just have to work a trade when I need some!
we are looking for some properties in southwestern Nebraska that might have room for a "gathering" of sorts, just starting the search, though!  Got another cataract surgery on the horizon to slow things down, as well as prepping this place to sell at market value!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 12:11:57 pm »
I don't think that 15 hours includes pit stops rest breaks, etc!  I barely made it to MoJam in 15 hours driving solo!  100 mile coffee doesn't work with a 50 mile bladder >:D (lol)!  And the highway patrols frown on 100 mph driving, even on the open road.  I will just have to work a trade when I need some!
we are looking for some properties in southwestern Nebraska that might have room for a "gathering" of sorts, just starting the search, though!  Got another cataract surgery on the horizon to slow things down, as well as prepping this place to sell at market value!
Hawkdancer

yah know, theres land in south east nebraska... and me... and lots of good knappers... and some PA Members  O:) O:) and i found a rock source, and osage trees....

was that enough for you to come down here? ;D
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.