Author Topic: Heat Tempering How To & Cutting Lams  (Read 1081 times)

Offline mmattockx

Heat Tempering How To & Cutting Lams
« on: February 16, 2020, 10:25:43 am »
A couple questions from the new guy:

1) Is there a good build along or how-to thread on heat treating belly wood? I will be doing a board bow in maple and have seen comments that it responds well to tempering. Is this correct?

2) When cutting lams how accurately do they need to be done? Is cutting them on a table saw and lightly sanding off any blade marks good enough or do they really need to be thickness sanded? I know I can cut them to within 0.010" on the table saw without too much trouble.

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat Tempering How To & Cutting Lams
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 11:08:27 am »
Mark, heat treating works well with most whitewoods. I've never worked maple so it's only a guess it works for maple. I personally would heat treat maple.
 On the lam bows I've built I never used tapers. I cut the lams parallel, about 1/8" or so and once glued up I tillered just like a stave bow with the taper in the belly lam. You do have to be sure all the glue surfaces mate will. Also if you are going to heat treat the belly, do it before glue up. Heat deteriorates most glues.
I don't do many lam bows so take what I say with a grain of salt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 10:09:38 am »
Mark, heat treating works well with most whitewoods. I've never worked maple so it's only a guess it works for maple. I personally would heat treat maple.

Is there a build along or how-to thread here that shows how to do the heat treating?

Mark

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 10:13:27 am »
There's hundreds of heat treating references on here and books that are likely readable online.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 12:04:06 pm »
There's hundreds of heat treating references on here and books that are likely readable online.

There are plenty of references to it here, but only a sentence or two and maybe a picture in a thread. I was hoping for more of a guide as to how to set up, equipment to use, what the end goal is, things to watch out for, etc.

I did some searching on youtube and found a few videos that explained a bit more but still not very detailed.

Mark

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 11:54:42 am »
Hi Mark

the other Marc has posted quite a bit about heat treating.  try searching here  ...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=3

or PM him, as he is an admin here

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 08:48:26 am »
Hi Mark

the other Marc has posted quite a bit about heat treating.  try searching here  ...

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=attach;u=3

Thanks for that link, lots of good reading in there.

Mark

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 05:29:16 pm »
Hi Mark

Thanks for that link, lots of good reading in there.

Mark

Hi mark,
I just noticed that his pics only go back to 2010, but he has been a member for longer than that. there have been a lot of old pics lost from the server, so any tutorial he may have wrote may be pre 2010 and still on the server minus the pics. He also did a chapter in TBB, so I know there are pics somewhere ....