Author Topic: Sinew backed paddle bows  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Sinew backed paddle bows
« on: March 12, 2020, 10:12:32 pm »
No idea why I love this design but I do.  if you have some pictures I'd like to see them of Northwestern style paddle bows sinew or otherwise backed. This will be my next bow build and I'm looking for ideas from you fellers.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Ryan Jacob

Re: Sinew backed paddle bows
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 01:17:38 am »
 I don’t have much experience yet but I’ve tried making one before. It’s really hard to keep the wide limbs flat and level, any differences in the angle of of the top and bottom limb are magnified.

There’s a youtube channel called JR’s Place that might help, he has guides on making them if memory serves me well.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:57:29 am »
Check out John Riggs, fellow Michigander, he is the king of paddle bows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 11:27:45 am »
Look up Yurok or Hupa bow images on line and you will get quite a few photos of historic ones.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:38:37 am »
This is one I posted last year. It’s 52”, 53lbs@26”
Eric

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 12:19:57 pm »
i like them too,, :)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 12:55:58 pm »
I’ve got a couple that are almost at a year of drying.
When they really start picking up reflex they’re harder to tiller than they looks. Very careful and slight wood removal. Light scrapes or sanding or your 70lb bow is now gonna end up a lot lighter than you wanted.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 01:25:15 pm »
I’ve got a couple that are almost at a year of drying.
When they really start picking up reflex they’re harder to tiller than they looks. Very careful and slight wood removal. Light scrapes or sanding or your 70lb bow is now gonna end up a lot lighter than you wanted.
In my climate (montana mountains) they dry really quickly. Almost TOO quickly. My shoulders and elbows are a creaky mess in the last few years so something in the neighborhood of 40-45 pounds is the goal. I enjoy short bows and have made only one attempt at a paddle bow in the past and that was recently with a catastrophic failure before I could back it. I pushed a little too much too fast and paid the consequences.
At the forge- 406-781-9098