Author Topic: Emerald ash boror  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Fox

Emerald ash boror
« on: March 03, 2020, 08:13:54 pm »
So... Emerald ash boror those nasty little worms. All my ash trees are dieing (or dead) and I have been cutting them down for firewood and such. There were a few big logs that I split into bow staves as well. There is no worms in anything but the first 1-3 growth rings... So can I just cut past them and chase a ring? Or is there some reason the boror has ruined the wood? Thanks

-fox
Why must we make simple things so complicated?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Emerald ash boror
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 08:20:00 pm »
As long as no fungi has gotten in the wood you should be able to just go below the damage.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 08:21:22 pm »
If the tree wasn’t standing dead for awhile. I went below the bore and chased a ring on one. It worked fine. I’m thinking the wood itself could  probably become poor after a certain amount of time standing dead though.
Bjrogg
PS it still makes pretty nice lumber yet to.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 09:00:31 am »
I just cut up an ash that was dead standing until a tornado just took it down.  I was hoping to shave it down past the bugs to reach good wood.  Unfortunately, some of those buggers dug deep, and all of the staves have some tiny bug holes all the way to the middle.  I guess it’s firewood.