Author Topic: Draw length  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Draw length
« on: February 28, 2020, 09:31:37 am »
So guys... My draw lenght is 26, but the thing is when i shoot i put my head 2" foreward along with my anchor point making it 24". Im at the point where im gonna be making more bows and something i feel like i should know is my draw lenght.

its more comforatble for me to shoot 24" and when i shoot at 24" there is no risk of me moving my head foreward more causing my draw lenght to waver. but im worried that if i stay at 24" that some form problems might show up and that maybe this is a form problem.(im just worried that my head going foreward is a form problem)

26" is not as comfortable but more bows are closer to the 26" inch length meaning if I train myself to stay at 26" it'll allow me to shoot others bows (if they allow)(also my dads draw is nearer to 26 than 24). Also i feel like i need to pull my neck back and this might hurt my neck (yes im a fragile teen). since my head may drift foreward i might not have the right draw length decreasing my draw weight.

what do you think. stay at 26" and train myself to make that my norm. or switch to 24" and have my neck going foreward maybe be a form problem.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Draw length
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 09:52:14 am »
You are collapsing your shoulders inward in order to drop 2". That's bad. If drawing 24" feels better than 26" means you are over bowed. When you draw your head should be straight, don't dip your chin downward and your shoulder blades should squeeze together. It should feel like your puffing your chest up, if that makes sense. Don't settle on 24", it will never allow you to shoot as well as you are capable of.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 10:35:21 am »
ok i won't do 24 then.

I think when i made my bow i was over bowed, i got used to my bad form because the only thing uncomfortable about 26" at 40# is just me not being familiar with it anymore. almost a year i guess I've been shooting 24" like that. good thing i haven't shot a lot otherwise it would be an even worse habit.

thanks PD

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 10:46:13 am »
just checked and i am collapsing my shoulders! i thought before i read your post that i was just putting my neck forward. i know what i need to do now. Ill check if im still over bowed when i'm home. don't think i am anymore, and i hope i'm not.  :)

thanks a lot PD!!

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 10:50:12 am »
Head up, shoulders back,  chest out - not pushed out but out!  Some strength building exercises will help!  Some training with a lighter bow should help, also try to "do it by the numbers" as PD described.  Concentrate on form, and make yourself draw 26". 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 11:00:13 am »
Head up, shoulders back,  chest out - not pushed out but out!  Some strength building exercises will help!  Some training with a lighter bow should help, also try to "do it by the numbers" as PD described.  Concentrate on form, and make yourself draw 26". 
Hawkdancer

Thanks Jerry I'll write that down!!

Im finally getting back to the Gym after all the sickness i had throughout the winter so that will help with strength.

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 12:07:30 pm »
Check out Arny Moe ,and Jim Blackmon on utube on shooting form. A video is worth a thousand words. When your done watching them ,and it sinks in you will have one good way to shoot a bow. Watch John Shultz on utube ,and he will show you Howard Hill style shooting which is another good to shoot a bow if you can grasp it.Their are a lot of good videos on utube on shot sequence, expansion, follow through, proper left hand grip, proper right hand finger tension, etc,etc,etc.

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 12:41:19 pm »
Imagine that someone has stuck a broomstick up your left sleeve right through to your right elbow. If you're a righty.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 12:59:14 pm »
I’m only 5’6” with a 66” inch arm span tip to tip.  I like shooting short bows and draw them 23-24” anchoring at the cornering of my mouth,  this works for me when I’m hunting and crouched behind my ground blinds. 

If I’m standing up and target shooting I can draw 26” comfortably with good back tension and focus on good form and follow through.  I just don’t hunt and target shoot the same style.  Not many people target shoot crouched on the ground or on a knee lol.  I’m still no crack shot but I do see improvement the more I shoot and focus on the back tension and follow through.

I shoot guns too and have trained myself to understand what I did wrong in my form that caused my shot to be off.  It’s the same in sticks and strings.  Usually my shot is off because my release is sloppy and my follow through is bad.  But when everything lines up the arrow just seems to go where I’m looking! 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 01:53:13 pm »
"Form" means zip...
You don't hit the target with form you hit it because you are comfortable, relaxed, confident and consistent.
Under pressure you will do what comes naturally ,not stand with your feet together bolt upright like some &*&^%$£" Olympic target archer.
The form required to hit a deer isn't the same as the form required to skewer a French night at 200 yards!
24" draw is fine if it does the job. Don't s'pose Ishi drew very long.
Just my opinion, other opinions are also available.
Del
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:56:32 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 03:55:06 pm »
Consistency is always key no matter what but the reason standard or “good” forms are developed in any sport is to make finding that consistency easier and reduce variables that could lead to mistakes. I agree that leaning your head forward isn’t good for your consistency in the long term unless you really analyze what you’re doing and get in a lot of practice.

Don’t be ashamed to make your bows lighter. I’ve been making my bows 35# lately because I just don’t shoot enough to work on those muscles and form. I’d rather be able to enjoy shooting the bow with decent form than forcing a heavier draw weight.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 09:49:53 pm »
Sioux arrows average 23 inches

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 08:24:07 pm »
Don’t be ashamed to make your bows lighter. I’ve been making my bows 35# lately because I just don’t shoot enough to work on those muscles and form. I’d rather be able to enjoy shooting the bow with decent form than forcing a heavier draw weight.

I guess i am kinda ashamed that I cant draw a bow like I used to. Ill make a 35# bow. that is kinda relieving to hear that.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 09:10:10 pm »
Like you used to? You got plenty of time to work back up to higher draw weights young gun!  ;D

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 10:46:06 pm »
well used to as in before school started  (lol)