Author Topic: osage staves  (Read 3179 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
osage staves
« on: February 28, 2020, 01:19:58 pm »
Since the snow has melted enough Robin and me went out shed hunting on our piece a while ago.While looking I rechecked on an 8 to 10 inch diametered osage I had been eye balling in the past. I cut it/split it and got 4 nice staves from it.Good thing about this time of year a lot of the sap is in the roots yet.
Here's my process:
After some trimming on the band saw I just lean them against a tree.Use a draw knife and a pocket knife and start in the middle of the stave.Pull bark and sapwood off while identifying the ring I want.I clean it up out to a foot from either end both ways.

I then take it inside on my vise and clean up the ends.

Shavings and trimmings go into unloader bucket

One stave is a natural D/F with a huge knot in the center of stave.Look forward to that one.

Here's the difference in color between freshly cut osage and 3.5 year old osage.

I trim these staves up  nicely on the band saw and shellack the ends and backs on all these staves and put them away in my shed.
PS....We found 3 large sheds.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Will B

Re: osage staves
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 05:02:28 pm »
Those staves look great!! Wish I could find osage like that here in PA. The osage I’ve cut and split has lots of knots and twist. Thanks for sharing and for the photos.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 05:17:20 pm »
Those are some nice looking staves Ed. You made that look really easy. I didn’t even break a sweat

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 06:11:02 pm »
That fresh color is the stuff of dreams ed!
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 07:13:16 pm »
Very nice staves! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 04:13:54 am »
Thanks fellas....I'm glad to see I still have a few nice straighter staves left.In the past I've traded or sold quite a few and always send them the best I got.Kind of wished I would of kept them now but they went to bowyers who don't have osage grow in their area.The tops of tree and limb wood go through the stove in the house.Quite the BTU producing sparkly wood.
White woods are fun too but it's nice to grab a piece of osage now and then.
I kinda wanted to show that a person does'nt need all these fancy rigs etc. on chase rings on these staves.Although the band saw sure makes quick work of trimming compared to the hatchet but the slower you go the less mistakes you make too.
BowEd
Ed

The Zen Master

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2020, 05:22:03 am »
Thanks fellas....I'm glad to see I still have a few nice straighter staves left.In the past I've traded or sold quite a few and always send them the best I got.Kind of wished I would of kept them now but they went to bowyers who don't have osage grow in their area.The tops of tree and limb wood go through the stove in the house.Quite the BTU producing sparkly wood.
White woods are fun too but it's nice to grab a piece of osage now and then.
I kinda wanted to show that a person does'nt need all these fancy rigs etc. on chase rings on these staves.Although the band saw sure makes quick work of trimming compared to the hatchet but the slower you go the less mistakes you make too.

Osage orange is the hardest wood in North America, it is also has the highest BTU rating of any other wood. It is an interesting tree!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2020, 06:28:04 am »
Those are some fine strait clean staves there Ed makes me feel like getting out the chain saw but no more shop room here nice haul !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2020, 07:16:28 am »
Yes in my opnion it is some of the best bow wood on the planet.People and me have been burning it here for decades upon decades.Because of it's oil content a regular cleaning of your stove pipes makes it safe to burn.It burns extremely hot and will melt sheet metal or even 1/16" thick walled stoves.It holds coals a very long time also.A good 1/4" thick walled stove is the safest to use.
I have no problem with having enough room to store these staves.The more the merrier.When a person gets enough around they can start to be a little picky about what trees to cut down.I generally try to cut trees where there is no wasted staves and ones that have unique natural profiles to them.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 12:55:50 pm »
[

Osage orange is the hardest wood in North America, it is also has the highest BTU rating of any other wood. It is an interesting tree!
[/quote]

I think snake wood is harder actually
In the woods I find my peace

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 01:30:47 pm »
Good looking staves Ed.  Nice job cleaning them up.  How about a picture of the sheds you found?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 01:42:59 pm »
Good to see your feeling better and how's your wife dong?....and what exactly is it like?
We've put larger sized ones around the guard rail of the front porch.Many more smaller ones in the tractor shed hanging from bale twine.Some larger inside the house too.It's always a competition between Robin and me to see who can find them first....Ha Ha.
She'll get distracted having her camera along taking pictures.That's when I find them.I cover more ground.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 07:51:34 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 06:23:10 pm »
love the sign Ed... mine says "Unfinished Chores Ranch"... that is a lot of sheds and some real nice osage.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 07:27:12 pm »
 Looks good. Hope I can get a few of mine to look that nice!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 07:53:58 pm »
love the sign Ed... mine says "Unfinished Chores Ranch"... that is a lot of sheds and some real nice osage.
Well Bob on a farm chores are never done really.Good name for it.
You will Jamesh76.
BowEd
Ed