Author Topic: Longhorns  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Bubbabowyer

Longhorns
« on: March 02, 2020, 06:41:15 pm »
Just curious, has anyone ever used longhorn cattle horns as a belly? Boo backed? With a core? If so, how does it perform, behave, and work to tiller? Thanks

Offline DC

Re: Longhorns
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2020, 07:05:13 pm »
Don't go by me but I've heard that it splits. I've wondered about it because my wife's cousin used to raise longhorns. Beautiful beasts :D

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 09:10:49 am »
I’ve heard the same about cow horn, but I’ve never talked to anyone who actually tested it lol.
There was a bow posted here awhile back that used cow horn and it looked like the belly of a Osage bow, don’t know how it held up though.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 12:01:42 pm »
I was going to try longhorn for a horn bow but was told by someone who knows that it delaminates. It has growth rings like trees do. I gave the horn to Pappy and he made a hunter's horn out of it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 12:58:55 am »
Don't bother. :)
Sinew makes a better back too :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 08:53:08 pm »
Now hold on. With a bamboo back, I doubt you will be stressing the horn to the point ( matter of fact, its obvious that you wont ) that sinew will. I'd wager a long horn bow could be built well with bamboo, should a good horn be chosen. I'd do it if I had horn. Dangit, now I want some longhorn.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 12:38:17 am »
Why do you think that if you pulled it further the structural limitation wouldn't matter? The horn delaminates when at all stressed....
Pulling a hornbow less than it should be equals poor performance. Backing it with boo limits how far you can pull it - also leading to poor performance.
All the effort that goes into a properly made hornbow would be wasted by using sub par materials. That is a path that isn't for me.
I notice you add provisos to your statement eg. if a good horn were chosen…..that's what is being said there aren't any horns that are good enough...…
If you really want to make a hornbow then at least start with materials that will make one ;) Water buffalo horn/maple/sinew. Proven combo.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 10:16:31 am »
The Westvang Brothers used to make a Watusi bellied Osage combo.  While Texas longhorn doesn't seem to work other varieties of longhorn have been used successfully.   Usually you'll hear that cold climate longhorn is better.  Hungarian cattle etc.  Likely Highland  Cattle horn as well.

Jaap Koppedrayer makes or used to make a horn bellied bamboo combo without sinew.  It's a historically accurate design for some areas.