Author Topic: Plum as core  (Read 11922 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Plum as core
« on: March 06, 2020, 11:16:42 am »
Hi guys, I know you can use some fruitwoods as hornbow cores, does this include plum?

bownarra

Re: Plum as core
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2020, 12:57:25 am »
You can use most woods BUT they must glue well, steam bend well and be not overly dense. EG. 0.60sg. Absolutely straight grained with zero spiral or pin knots. Diffuse porous will make life easier too.
I have no experience with plum.
Maple, maple , maple :)

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 08:50:18 pm »
Would that rule out cedar?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 12:39:12 am »
I take it you are trying to be funny.....

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 08:15:39 am »
I know the best is hard maple but it doesnt grow here and I prefer to use local timbers whenever possible. Plum would be too hard then at ..61 to .79 sg?

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 01:43:38 am »
Plant some Maple then :) That's what the Turks did.
If you must use something that isn't perfect then go cut a straight ash and use it on the quarter.
You could also order some bamboo - there are a few good suppliers in this country now.
Plum is a bit dense and highly likely to have spiral growth and pins. Have you tested its gluing properties or ability to be steam bent?

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 01:56:18 am »
use non porous wood for core material. any other kind just wont hold up over time
Clatskanie, Oregon

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 12:58:26 am »
use non porous wood for core material. any other kind just wont hold up over time

I made a bow with an ash core that is going strong after many thousands of shots. Fraxinus excelsior.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 04:46:59 am »
I've used hickory as a core many times.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 12:02:04 am »

I made a bow with an ash core that is going strong after many thousands of shots. Fraxinus excelsior.

If you talk to James Parker he’ll tell yah the wood will eventually break apart and look like chicklets. But I’m referring to the highly stressed asiatic and Middle East composites
Clatskanie, Oregon

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 01:27:32 am »
This can happen but if it does then you should've sized the core better and (likely) used a thicker mix for your first sinew layer.
Any composite is highly stressed :) The materials can only take so much and you build to be just under that limit.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 07:52:44 am »
I've got to agree.Proper preperation in all facets of the build is the main key to success and knowing why what happens when it happens good and bad from building them through trial and error.
That leads to adventures in problem solving a person does'nt forget and leads to the next build being a better one without the problems.A good decent density/elasticity/absence of oil/and numero ono no. 1 a perfectly straight grained piece of wood with 0 knots or pins or swirls in grain to make it usable in most cases.
I respect  James Parkers knowledge but also know what I know too.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:53:36 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 07:29:44 pm »
Whenever hes talked to me about core material, favorites are favorable for a reason. Admittedly all cores will eventually turn to chicklets lol porous woods seem to take that on faster than non.
I’m a mulberry and vinemaple guy myself.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 05:13:54 am »
Well we'll have to agree to disagree Bryce.I'm going from what I've seen/used and made over the past 6 or 7 years.That would be like saying all self bows turn into firewood or dust eventually.Which is a true statement.You have a pretty despondent view point IMO.
If it's suitable for it personally I would make a self bow out of the plum myself stuckinthemud.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:02:29 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 12:47:54 pm »
As a point I think we agree in the most part. But I think we have in mind two different styles of bows in mind.
I have some 3-4mm vinemaple curing if you ever wanted to have a go at it, I could spare a few slats:)

Personally I love plum as a bow wood. A prefer it to Osage to be honest.
That internal friction and fatigue happens to all bows.
When you have how and sinew on either side of your wood, makes it hard to see how well the wood is holding up to frets and that not over time without taking it apart or cutting into it.
Clatskanie, Oregon