Author Topic: Rendezvous Bow - Completed  (Read 14566 times)

Offline Gordon

Re: Rendezvous Bow
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2020, 07:58:36 pm »
I give the bow a good sanding and then finish tillering it. She settles in at 42# @ 27".  That should be just about right for a female shooter.

I'll run the bow through my usual torture test next week and, if she survives, I'll finish her up.
Gordon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2020, 08:15:41 pm »
Good job taming a tough piece of wood. Is this for the woman I talked to on the phone a while back?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2020, 08:45:26 pm »
Hey Weylin. Yeah this piece of wood presented more challenges than I had initially anticipated - lots of twists, dips, bumps, doglegs and inconveniently located knots.  But it appears that wood and bowyer have found an accommodation - at least for now. This bow is not for the woman that called you. I tried to steer this gal your way also but she just had to have one of my bows and since she is a member of our black powder club I relented.  I think she will like the bow - if it survives my torture test... It's great talking with you Weylin, I hope you and your family are doing well. We all miss you back here in the West.
Gordon

Offline airkah

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2020, 10:13:33 pm »
These are some of the best tips I have ever seen!

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2020, 04:45:28 am »
These are some of the best tips I have ever seen!
+1 those tips are out of sight!  :D
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Will B

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2020, 05:49:16 am »
Thanks for sharing this build. Very helpful tips and great workflow. Much appreciated!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2020, 05:55:36 am »
Thanks Gordon, it's a pleasure watching your buildalongs.
I know it is much work and it is a pain interrupting the workflow for doing pics, many thanks for that.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Gordon

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2020, 12:44:20 pm »
Thank you sieddy and airkah. I am glad you like the tips. John Strunk invented this style and they are his signature tips.

Thanks Will and Simson, taking so many photos is a bit tedious at times, but overall I enjoy doing it and I am glad there are folks who appreciate seeing the steps that other use to make bows.
Gordon

Offline huntinoly

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2020, 11:45:06 pm »
Hey Gordon looks like your still building bows. You get out hunting with them much anymore. It's been awhile since I have talked to ya. Greg

Offline Rākau

• Aotearoa-the land of the long white cloud
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2020, 12:14:46 am »
As others have said, I really enjoy seeing your workflow, Gordon. Those dips and twists out of the fades look challenging, and this build along makes me excited to get into some of my plum staves I have drying. Thanks for taking the time, really looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2020, 01:38:50 pm »
I think I am going have to try and copy those overlays on my next bow.  They are the nicest I have ever seen.  Great work.  Your build alongs have always been great!

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2020, 12:32:20 am »
Beautiful bow - loved the build a long. Curious what your “torture test” involves?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2020, 11:00:23 am »
Hey Greg. Good hearing from you again! I'm hunting more now a days with the black powder guns that I built than with a bow.

Thank you Rakau. Those dips and twists turned out to be challenging. But I went slow and faithfully followed the contours of the back and it worked out.

Thank you Swampman, I am glad you like the tips and I look forward to seeing your interpretation.

Thank you Tommy. It's not so much a torture test as simply breaking in the bow. I have daily sessions of drawing the bow to full draw on my tiller tree mixed with shooting arrows out of it. So far the bow is holding up nicely. If it makes it through today without issues, I'll put a finish on it.
Gordon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2020, 11:21:31 am »
It's always good to see your Build Alongs, Gordon and good to see you back. Why not post some of your Black Powders on the Muzzleloading Forum?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Gordon

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2020, 07:31:10 pm »
Hey thanks Eddie, it is good to be among old friends again. I have posted my rifles on the forum, but it takes me about a year to build a rifle so it doesn't happen often.
Gordon