Author Topic: sinew sources  (Read 1392 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
sinew sources
« on: March 18, 2020, 07:58:23 am »
Does it matter what kind of critter one uses for sinew backing?  Our big-game harvest is pretty limited here in Wyoming, not like some of you guys that get to shoot four, five dozen white tails a year.  ;)   Collecting enough sinew for a bow (and a lot of extra for the inevitable screw-ups while I'm learning) could be a multi-year project.

But I have a friend who raises and butchers cattle for a living, and I'm pretty sure I could get all the angus tendons I could use from him.   There's a buffalo ranch on the edge of town, and a yak ranch up in the Bighorns.  Being a little less realistic, I'm also wondering about predators:  I have a few friends that are avid bear and coyote hunters.  A bow backed with bear sinew would feel like it had some good "magic" to it...

Just curious what you guys think.  Is sinew sinew, or does it matter?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline PatM

Re: sinew sources
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 08:16:16 am »
 There's a lot of opinion on this but really any sinew will work.  It all does the same thing.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 08:21:52 am »
I've heard the plains Indians used Buffalo sinew for their short bows.

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 09:18:25 am »
Years ago I got my hands on some bison leg tendon sinew. The old rancher in Colorado told me it was some of the best and I think he was correct. Easy to process, great yield, and very clean. Wish I could get my hands on some more. I'll take that over any other sinew. Just my preference.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 09:25:05 am »
I have never used any thing but white tail back strap ,and leg sinew, so I have no idea, but it seems to do a good job.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 11:05:59 am »
Bison sinew should work very well for any craft.  It was the primary source of material for the plains people's!  But I don't think they figured out how to use the grunt!  May have to stop by the Terry Bison Ranch and see about getting some!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 01:23:49 pm »
I have a horn bow made with cow tendon.  Works great.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 02:51:25 pm »
I've used deer, elk, bison, domestic cow and emu sinew. They all seem very similar in strength and elasticity.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 04:42:13 pm »
if you know folks that butcher, I would ask them for the leg from the knee down. a little less work for them, and you can get a continuous tendon from the knee to the toe.
if you offer to help your friend on butchering day, you might even get some other "trimmings" for the grill

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 05:18:40 pm »
Thanks for the info, guys.  Willie, he has a whole, professional butcher shop up that the ranch that he picked up for a song at an auction.  I have a standing invitation to bring my elk up there and butcher it...if I could just manage to kill an elk!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour