Author Topic: Small Adze  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Small Adze
« on: March 17, 2020, 04:29:56 pm »
Had a request for a small adze for working down staves. This one is 1050 steel with a 1084 cutting edge forge welded in the bit for a harder sharper cutting edge. 1.5" cutting edge with a 2.25" throat. This one was made with a rectangle eye that should accept a standard hammer type handle. This will give a good reach for the smaller head. Turned out well I think. Enjoy!
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Mr. Woolery

Re: Small Adze
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 05:44:35 pm »
That is a really sweet tool!

Patrick

Offline Handforged

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:42:57 pm »
Thanks! I finished it up with a forge black finish and soaked it in oil for a few hours. Ready to remove some wood now.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:04:06 pm »
You do really nice work

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 05:31:14 am »
That thing is too cool.  You do great work

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 10:04:09 am »
I like that :D. When you watch bow making videos you see a lot of traditional makers using adzes but you rarely see any modern guys using them. I've often thought that they would work better than a hatchet but I have no reason for that. Is there a steep learning curve or are they much like a hatchet to use? Is the amount of curve in the blade critical or do you just adjust the hitting angle to make it work?

Offline Handforged

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 11:22:44 am »
I like that :D. When you watch bow making videos you see a lot of traditional makers using adzes but you rarely see any modern guys using them. I've often thought that they would work better than a hatchet but I have no reason for that. Is there a steep learning curve or are they much like a hatchet to use? Is the amount of curve in the blade critical or do you just adjust the hitting angle to make it work?

an adze really shines when you have a good amount of wood to remove. They are handy for chunking off large sections. After that it really depends on your skills with one. I have seen people that could take a bow stave down to scribed lines with one pretty easily. The angle on them is purely subjective. I have seen the with as much as 60 degrees of downward angle, they are all made for a specific task. I make mine with about 40 degrees of angle at the cutting edge from the handle. That keeps the blade on a straighter plane on the downward stroke. A straight blade version like this one works the same as a hatchet. You work the wood facing it as opposed to along the side.   As far as learning curve, its not rocket science but I would want to practice a little on some pine or cheap scrap to get the feel for it. Then go on with your bow building.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 11:25:50 am »
Nice work!  If I remember correctly, it was a very good shaping tool back in the day, and a every carpenter had at least one.   I think I even got to try one at a Scout outing way back when.  They have gone by the wayside with the advent of bandsaws and power sanders!  If I see one at a sale, it will follow me home!  Of course, I would be open to trading for a new one (f) (lol) >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 03:18:08 pm »
This is really cool! Haven’t tried an adze, but it does look like it would work well for roughing out a stave
Eric

Offline Handforged

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 03:35:20 pm »
This is really cool! Haven’t tried an adze, but it does look like it would work well for roughing out a stave

The truth of it is I make them and don't have one for myself. After fiddling with this one that might need to change. What's old saying about mechanics' vehicles rarely run correctly, electricians have light bulbs out in the house....well, blacksmiths get to make the cool toys and send them out the door to someone who will use them. I have at least 20 "I should make myself one of those" tools in my head. I'll get around to it eventually I guess.

I played with this one this morning with a hammer handle in it and MAN ALIVE...it makes wood move in a hurry! I took out a 2x4 in about 6 good strokes.