Author Topic: Wood bow speed v.s Fibreglass bow speed?  (Read 3800 times)

Offline bassman

Re: Wood bow speed v.s Fibreglass bow speed?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2020, 07:51:30 am »
What Pearl said.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2020, 10:04:43 am »
I agree with Alan's post. I have built a few Osage selfbows that
get real close to 50# glass bow records. That being said
The consistency of the glass bows are easier to achieve by far.
Arvin 
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2020, 11:08:39 am »
He meant to say that other bows are less accurate, not that target bows are more accurate. ;)

yes, bows designs maximized for speed may not always let the arrows leave as smoothly as others. the trade off shows in flightshooting where both speed and smoothness count.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2020, 11:23:09 am »
When I'm using my shooting machine I always pull the arrow out of the target before shooting again. The chances are too high of hitting the other arrow. I have to keep moving the target or after two or three shots the arrows start to go though the target. I don't think there is any such thing as an inaccurate bow. If you could hold the bow absolutely the same way and use the same arrow every shot they would pretty much all go in the same hole. That's my thinkin' and I'm stickin' to it ;D ;D

Offline Santanasaur

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2020, 04:25:26 pm »
Has anyone ever tested  a shooting machine with built in human error? if the release or grip mechanism had vibrating components the arrows would spread into measurable groups.

The grouping size is more a measure of something like ‘forgiveness’ but I think it’s what people intuitively mean when they say a bow is accurate. Obviously bows don’t have an inherent accuracy quality, but bows and archers together do. If the archers errors are standardized by a machine then bows could be compared and measured in this aspect

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2020, 04:32:42 pm »
You go ahead and do that ;D ;D I'll sit back. Good luck trying to build a machine with unlimited repeatable adjustments. ;D ;D ;D I'm having enough trouble building a clamp to hold the bow the same each shot.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2020, 05:12:28 pm »
Having made both wood & glass & glass /carbon bows I would agree design  is key in what ever medium  you use but my best glass/carbon bow bests my best wood bow by 20 fps but does that mean any thing ? Its not really apples to apples because the wood bow would never survive the hybrid glass/carbon design , my best glass/carbon is well over 200 fps at my 31" draw , I think if you compare strait limb LB designs with wood vs glass or glass/carbon the playing feild is narrowed and in some cases the wood would out perform the glass or glass/carbon bows ! Thats just my personal opinion having made both !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2020, 09:48:30 pm »
That seems a reasonable take on it )P(

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2020, 08:09:11 am »
Brad I agree it's reasonable, most guys I know that are making the ASL or HH follow glass bows are doing between 139fps & 170 fps , they don't really buid the bows for speed but for shooting quality's & they are amazingly smooth shooters but most shot in well maid  self bows & certainly reflexed self bows will easily out perform that in fps !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline bassman

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2020, 10:22:26 am »
If you took random test samples  of glass recurve bows that have been made in the last 50 years, and compare them to random test samples  of selfbows that have been made in the last 50 years ,and backed bows in my opinion, and on "AVERAGE" the glass bows would be smoother drawing,faster, and more durable.  Some guys on leather wall who make glass bows would like to think their glass bows will compare in every way to wheel compound bows.In the real world that is not going to happen any time soon. JMO. I have a passion for all kinds of bows, and own, and shoot self bows,backed bows, recurves, compound, and cross bows, and am not bias.