Author Topic: Elk handle Nessmuk  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Elk handle Nessmuk
« on: March 24, 2020, 06:06:54 pm »
This is something fun I finished up today. Thought you guys might enjoy pics! This is a 52100 "short" nessmuk style I call a Montana Nessmuk. I came up with this design after making skinning and caping knives for the local guides. We kept tweaking and messing with it and finally came up with something that seems to fill a LOT of the check off boxes for guys who use these in the woods every day. Including me, this is the knife I carry every day.  This one has a noticeable hamon in dark etched steel, elk antler scales and brass pins. I really enjoy making this knife and folks seem to love them.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline mmattockx

Re: Elk handle Nessmuk
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 07:03:21 pm »
Sweet knife, it would make a great skinning tool. What is the blade length and thickness?

Mark

Offline Handforged

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 07:10:40 pm »
Sweet knife, it would make a great skinning tool. What is the blade length and thickness?

Mark

These are 3/16 at the spine with a flat grind to a secondary bevel just at the cutting edge.  Blade length is 4.5" so it can be belt carried in any state (some states have a law preventing the carry of a belt knife larger than 5")    Mine will take an elk apart like it's going out of style.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 09:57:11 am »
i am so confused and intrigued. it looks like a flat knife at the tip but it also looks like a big triangle of metal at the base.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 10:13:29 am »
i am so confused and intrigued. it looks like a flat knife at the tip but it also looks like a big triangle of metal at the base.

It's a traditional flat grind that carries through to sharp. It has a distal taper from the ricasso to the tip. All to decrease resistance in cutting and retain a thick spine with a fine cutting edge.