Author Topic: Spiked tomahawk build along  (Read 7800 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Spiked tomahawk build along
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2020, 11:33:25 pm »
Neat idea!  Will have to try that!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 11:58:59 pm »
I have given thought to using this method for a two piece longbow or recurve with a leather washer handle in the middle. Never tried it but I think it would work well.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 04:30:19 am »
Great build-a-long Handforged.I like it.
Years ago while rendezvouing I acquired a Joe De Larond hawk.Still have it and use it to this day.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2020, 09:19:09 am »
Nice hawk!  I'm with Hawkdancer--I don't know diddly squat about forging but I always enjoy reading about it.

T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Handforged

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2020, 11:07:06 am »
For me the forging is the easy part. Grinding and finishing metal are what I do. It's the other things that you have to learn that always give me issues. The finish work, wood working, this that and the other...  Coming up with ideas to make a piece unique is always a challenge.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2020, 02:53:47 pm »
Last night I got the top part of the handle set up. What I did here is as follows. I drill a 3/8" hole to the depth of the bolt that is needed. Then I go in and counterbore it with a 1/2" bit to about 1/2 of the depth. Remove the brass nut from the bolt and epoxy it in place in the counterbore. Don't get any glue on the threads! When this sets I go ahead and fill the hole with epoxy and screw the lower part of the handle into the top until it is nice and tight. All of this will make a goopy mess. I usually then clamp it up in a large bar clamp to make sure it sets tight. I let that cure overnight. I then take it back out to the drill press and drill two 1/8" holes. This should go through the wood, metal bolt and out the other sides, set in with slow CA glue to hold it. This gives us the mechanical connection to lock everything together. Here is a pic of everything together.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2020, 02:58:00 pm »
I find the opposite problem-I can't forge, but I do very well at woodworking and such to make the item complete.

How hard would it be to make one of these hawk heads from a hammer if you've never done it before?  I need a hawk for my wedding regalia, but buying is 'spensive and getting someone who knows what they're doing is even worse.  I'm trying my best to learn how to do it all anyway.  Any tips on how to do it for a beginner?  Be a lot better if I made it myself.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2020, 02:59:54 pm »
Most of the rough work on the handle is done now. I'll finish and smooth the lines as I go, making sure to blend all of the pieces together so there are no rough edges. I do this by feel, just picking it up and feeling it. It feels nice and light. This is going to be a smaller hawk, not the traditional big honkin' heavy tool. So the handle doesn't need to be two feet long.

The hawk head as been stewing in an acid etch bath for a while to give it a weathered and distressed look. It's almost a shame to get it all nice, smooth and polished to then etch and mark it up to make it look period but that's the way it goes.  Here is a mock up, while I finish the handle out. This will take several coats of tru oil, drying and buffing it out. I thought you guys would appreciate a pic of the way it will look when finished, just missing oil.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2020, 03:05:23 pm »
I find the opposite problem-I can't forge, but I do very well at woodworking and such to make the item complete.

How hard would it be to make one of these hawk heads from a hammer if you've never done it before?  I need a hawk for my wedding regalia, but buying is 'spensive and getting someone who knows what they're doing is even worse.  I'm trying my best to learn how to do it all anyway.  Any tips on how to do it for a beginner?  Be a lot better if I made it myself.

Depends on your commitment. The same tools you need to get started are the same that you'll use for years of forging. A coal forge can be made from about anything that will hold it, a hair dryer for a blower. An anvil can be made from a piece of railroad track and a small assortment of hammers and tongs. With those few things you can go along way.  If you don't want to put a much of time into it, my advice would be to find someone with those tools and go use them with their help. It isn't a hard thing, leaning more to understand WHY you're hitting that spot and how many times to have the desired effect.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2020, 06:11:39 pm »
while things dry I am back to knives. This is a BIG Damascus bowie that I have been working on the side for the Blade show coming up. It's 52100/1095/15n20 in a wave pattern. This isn't a quick project, it's taken weeks to get this far on it working a little here and there. Today I got one side of it hand sanded down to 800 grit and couldn't resist putting it in some etch to view the pattern. Still thinking up ideas for the handle as it's a hidden tang. I've got ideas but it's still developing...

Offline Handforged

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2020, 06:12:36 pm »
Here is the same blade after etching lightly to illustrate the pattern.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2020, 09:44:23 pm »
i sent the picture to my friend who forges. his reaction isn't allowed on PA. ill censor it for ya ;D

What the Frick! thats a Fricking work of art! thats Fricking beautiful.

(lol) (lol) (f) (f)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2020, 09:56:55 pm »
i sent the picture to my friend who forges. his reaction isn't allowed on PA. ill censor it for ya ;D

What the Frick! thats a Fricking work of art! thats Fricking beautiful.

(lol) (lol) (f) (f)

I guess if you can get them to swear it means they really like it. Wait until it's finished!

Offline Handforged

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2020, 01:24:20 pm »
I'm planning out the forging of another hawk this morning. I have a piece of D-2 tool steel that is calling my name, so I will be using it to produce a one off period hawk in d-2... waaay overkill I know but why not?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 10:08:39 pm »
I need a hawk for my wedding regalia...

Now that sounds like a wedding I might actually enjoy attending.  ha ha  She must be an amazing lady.
Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour