Author Topic: Finally warm enough to light the forge!  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Mr. Woolery

Finally warm enough to light the forge!
« on: March 19, 2020, 10:56:45 am »
When it gets really cold, there just isn’t enough vapor pressure off the propane to get metal hot. Since that also coincides with how cold I want to put up with while standing on a concrete slab for a couple of hours, there’s no reason to switch fuels. But it was above 30 degrees the past couple of days, and with social distancing keeping me home, I got a chance to beat some steel!

Four of these are exercises in brut de forge work. I was really taken with a statement Jason Knight made about blades that are forged right to finished dimensions. He said all the skill of the smith is on display when your finished surface is as it left the anvil. I’m an avid hobbyist, not a pro. But I like to leave at least some of the texture there. With the four BdF blades, there will be an absolute minimum of grinding in order to showcase my skills or lack thereof. Finished pics will happen when the knives are done.

The top two, I was aiming for a particular shape and really didn’t get it. In the middle, a couple of small sax blades. And a pair of puukkos at the bottom.

This is right after heat treat.

All are forged from round bar salvaged from large garage door springs. I’m not positive, but I may decide to break the top one to get a look at the grain. If so, I’ll post a picture (if I can get decent focus with a phone camera).

Patrick

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Re: Finally warm enough to light the forge!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 11:39:59 am »
Are you using a forced air forge or a venturi? Reason I ask is that I forge outside in Montana in the winter without a problem. I have a forced air ribbon burner forge. The forced air really helps in the cold temps. A magnetic block heater on the propane tank keeps it nice and warm so the vapor can stabilize. It does take a while longer to get to temps and I have to preheat my anvil but other than that I don't have an issue.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 11:49:10 am »
He said all the skill of the smith is on display when your finished surface is as it left the anvil.

I've always liked that forged look. The only part that needs to be shiny is the edge. Looks hand made and I like that :D

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 12:16:05 pm »
Venturi. But my feet and legs can’t take the cold of Fairbanks winters for long enough to be worth it. I use a very small forge, but it does what I want it to do.

Since we were above 30 degrees, I was out having fun and just wanted to share. More pics when I get more work done.

Patrick

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 07:32:54 pm »
I understand that. we have been swapping between sub zero and 20-25 for the last week or so. It takes a toll for sure. I forge out under an awning to my shop so at least I don't have the snow and wind on me. The rest in my finishing shop but it isn't insulated so some days it's tolerable and some not.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 08:07:46 am »
Nice work Patrick

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 11:48:05 am »
Congratulations on the warming trend!  We just slid back to winter on the 1st day of spring!  3"-4" snow and the high Today is supposed to be about 28F.  That standing on hard concrete make your toes cold and your knees hurt!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 11:12:49 pm »
Did finish grinding today. I had a few other blades that were waiting on that last few passes on the belt, so this pic has more blades.

Maybe I’ll get shop time tomorrow, so I can start handles.

Patrick