Author Topic: Blessing of the spirits of the land.  (Read 1439 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Blessing of the spirits of the land.
« on: March 20, 2020, 06:11:33 am »
Less than a mile from my house is a very small pull off roadside “park”. The park has only been there for a decade or two, but the spot is marked on even the oldest maps I’ve ever seen of Michigan. It’s name is White Rock. It’s named after a large rock that sticks out of the big lake a few hundred yards from shore. The natives here are said to have thought it sacred.

Yesterday a  Native American conducted a very small ceremony there. It takes place when the days and night are of equal length and it gives thanks to the spirits of the land. I was invited to attend and I did.
The blessing took about 20 minutes. I found it very interesting and was honored to be asked to attend.
Thanks we’re given to many spirits and mostly to the maker. The spirits of the birds, animals, trees, water, Sun, Moon, Stars and especially the creator were all thanked and a little description of their roles and how they enter acted with the people’s was given.

I’m glad I could attend and I think I made a new friend.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: Blessing of the spirits of the land.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 07:50:54 am »
Bj, sounds like a very educational gathering, I wonder how many times that big rock was used for directions or important gatherings. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 08:13:38 am »
It’s pretty neat Outback. They put some plaques up when they built the road side park. One of them shows a map of Michigan divided into territories. It’s been awhile since I looked at it, but if I remember correctly. There were maybe four territories for different tribes and one for white man. White mans was from Detroit to the white rock. The White man wasn’t to go north of the White Rock. I live just west and a couple hundred yard north of the White Rock.

There’s also a plaque telling a story about two  canoes full of settlers going out to the rock for a square dance. The local tribe warned them against it. All but one settler climbed up onto the rock and danced.
One heeding the warning stayed back. The rock was struck by lightning (or as my new friend called it the grandfathers.) I’m remembering this all from about five years ago so I might have some of the details off, but that the jest of it. I don’t know if the story is true, but it’s kinda cool living so close to such a obscure spot, that’s got so much history and lore.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 11:40:14 am »
Very inspiring!  Good to see the old ways being celebrated, and great that you were invited to attend.  I agree, you probably do have a new friend.  Good luck with the farming this season!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 12:19:47 pm »
Thanks Hawkdancer. Hard to say for sure yet. Maybe a early spring? A few guys already planted some sugar beets. There’s still stuff that isn’t harvested from last year. We’re still trying to process the remainder of our stored beets. It could change completely any day though. Low of 21 high 29 tomorrow, had .5” shower this morning. Hopefully the spirits are happy.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 01:37:20 am »
Unless things happen really fast, I am not doing any planting this year!  We are planning a move to eastern Colorado or western Nebraska, right in the midst of planting time!  On the other hand, the growing season is somewhat longer!  I do think I should send some smoke to the spirits!  They have apparently been active in the area, according to reports on the very local network!  Which does' surprise me, something has shifted!  I would someday like to meet your new friend!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 02:38:52 am »
Way cool BJ  :OK - Thanks for sharig ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 02:45:19 am »
The world needs more of this...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 11:58:01 am »
It would be a pleasure to attend.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano