Author Topic: Hunkered Down Project ( Beavers)  (Read 4610 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

Hunkered Down Project ( Beavers)
« on: March 20, 2020, 11:44:26 am »
I got a couple of Nuisance Beaver Removal jobs that I'm workin on, Got 2 off from this farm so far. Pretty quiet out in the woods this time of year, just the way I like it, no people, no competition on these High dollar beaver. Guess I'll get them tanned so I can have some raw materials for other projects. I canned the meat and saved the hides. Hunter Gather culture is alive and do well. Keep your
Head Down and watch your Top Knot in these times. Stay safe. Later Bob

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Hunkered Down Project ( Beavers)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 11:55:38 am »
I see your figure 4 trap is getting better and better  :OK   ;D

Offline BrianS

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 04:47:01 pm »
Bob,
Nice job with the beavers. Have you ever attempted to tan the tails? Dino gifted me one that he caught on his trapline. I used Dixie Tan on it and it turned out ok but I had hoped it would be softer. Sewed it into a little bag.
Brian

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2020, 05:11:11 pm »
Brian, I have attempted a few and had poor results, not sure how they tan commercially but they sure are nice and soft. I sent Big Jim a bunch when he first started carrying them, not sure where he got them tanned. Beaver are one of the hardest of hair on animals to tan, not sure if greasy or thick and thin leather problems, I believe it to be thick and thin so not and even softness. This pair were about 30# each. I think this was a young pair that were booted out last yr and are starting out on there own. Hoping this is all that were in this ditch, Kinda snuck in on me last fall and I didn't notice them till late winter. Flooding crop fields and plugging up drainage ditch. Sorry they gotta go. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 07:07:19 pm »
Looks like they still have a nice winter coat yet.

I’ve never tried the tails. The hides are hard work.

Look forward to seeing what they become

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 07:51:53 pm »
BJ, season goes out first of April, the month of March is some of our best Beaver trapping weather wise , ice starts breaking up and Beaver are starting to breed and get out and move, the bad part is if overcrowded they fight and get a lot of bite marks on them. this pr was perfect no bite marks and prime as can be. I also lucked out and caught them on separate days. 30# hike out vs. 60# hike in swampy water. Beaver are a heck of a lot of work and at todays prices even worse, If I skin,flesh,and stretch might get $10 a pc for them, about ten yrs ago I got a $40 avg. Ya should seen me hump Beaver out of them swamps then. I was also ten yrs younger. I caught 45 that yr all put up and sold at the Auction. Best yr I ever had in 60 yrs of trapping. Nice to reminisce when I first started trapping we were only aloud 3 beaver and only a 30 day season, Now we have a 90 day season and are aloud 65, At todays prices no bodys doing much to hurt the population. Later Bob

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2020, 01:17:43 am »
Funny how science and politics work!  Nice hides, with that many years trapping, you definitely qualify as a "hibernate", ye done wintered over! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 08:41:43 am »
Nice beaver and project Outback.Beaver are a lot of work all the way around.Trapping them,fleshing them,[unless your an expert skinner....Ha Ha.] and tanning them,and you still need to hand sew to make them into something.Beautiful fur though!!!!
For tanning them as said earlier it's the high degree of variance of thickness of leather that can be a problem in softening.I made a 1/2" rerod circle to lace them after fleshing to dry.I used my dry scrape dehairing tool for deer to thin the neck and spine areas of the leather to closer match them with the thickness of the belly.It's esier to check thickness while laced in to that rerod circle.
As you mentioned earlier most beaver have scars from fighting.Be sure to be careful when dry scraping across those scars.I'd use 60 grit sand paper across those scars to avoid hooking and tearing it.
Some have tried using a belt sander before with beaver tacked to plywood.It can work but can also wreck a nice hide in a hurry too.
Either way I usually aluminum sulfate tan them then.
Brain tanning will work too with the warm brains massaged into the flesh side.Then the usual pulling and stretching while drying to get them soft.I've sheared the long guard hairs off with a wall clipper which makes a lustrous final look to them.
As far as the tail hide skin goes I usually leave them raw and dried after fleshing and salting for future use.I split them along side edge into 2 pieces.I have tanned them in quebracho solution before too but it is'nt necessary for knife sheath adornment use or bow handle wrap use.Just rehydrate the dried skin to use for what or where you want it.I'd definitely keep the tail skin hide though.
Keep us informed on your progress.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:53:42 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 09:13:59 am »
Beaver will probably never shine again in my life time. On the other hand Beaver castor are at a all time high, the big ones are worth as much as the whole hide, and the meat is excellent table fair. (Just keep your castors from touching your meat) I guess I'll just keep removing a few of the nuisance places and stay in good graces with the land owners. Good neighbors and good fences go hand in hand. Bob
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 09:30:41 am by Outbackbob48 »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 12:56:59 pm »
I guess the only way they shine is to make something nice from them.Most all rodents make good table fare from my experiences.I know coyotes love ground hogs or beaver caught in a trap.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2020, 02:59:48 pm »
Ed, I was thinking of making a pair of winter leggings (gators) with fur in. What do ya think? Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2020, 08:15:20 pm »
You eat them things?

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2020, 08:34:28 pm »
Jeb, Beaver is some fine eats, Way better than C rats from a different time. Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2020, 08:39:54 pm »
Don't know Bob, some of them c-rats wasn't bad. Don't know if I could get hungry enough to eat a large swamp rat.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2020, 09:07:38 pm »
Bob... That sounds great.They are the perfect size for that.You make whatever you don't have yet,with it being practical at the same time.That's my way of solving that problem.I was gong to make some of those out of buffalo once.
A skinner with a fine beaver hat fits in anywhere....Ha,Ha.Mittens or a vest maybe when numbers of pelts get to be more?
BowEd
Ed