Author Topic: Hunkered Down Project ( Beavers)  (Read 4659 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Hunkered Down Project ( Beavers)
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 09:42:57 pm »
Thanks for the thread you guys.

Outback we really don’t have many beaver here. I’m suspecting we will get more with the low prices. They keep em thinned down here and I’ve never had any on any of my trapline. I got a couple from my cousin. The fur buyer was only going to give him $4. Figure I could give him $6 and still be money ahead.
I trap mostly rats and mink. I didn’t run a line this year. Always thought rats are like little beaver and a lot less work. I think they both taste excellent. I’d take beaver over venison any day.

Really got behind on my tanning this year. I got a few deer hides ready for brains at least. Not sure if I should start anything  now getting busy farming
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 09:49:02 pm »
Jeb, I canned 4 pints of meat the other day, If your at the ridge swing by and sample some canned beaver. Beaver are strictly vegetarian and nice clean animal, On the back feet one of there toes has a built in comb, a double toenail one on top of the other to comb there fur. I have never seen a tick on beaver afew water fleas but they don't bite just crawl around. Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 10:49:36 pm »
Well the virus willing I will be at Ridge with the rest of the Michigan tribe

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 04:53:16 pm »
I got fleas on my head once from toting coon out of the woods.Carried them a bit too close to my neck.Only a shower would get rid of them.....Ha Ha.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 05:22:55 pm »
Ed, when I was real heavy into trapping I made a web sling that allowed one beaver on each hip and one thrown over your back of shoulders. I remember my son and I loading up in a distant swamp. I told him to flip a 60# on my shoulders so we could get out in one trip, He said better put your hood up, this ones loaded with fleas. I don't know if fleas crawling on me or hair blowing on my neck but I was itchin the whole way out. Dang I'am itching now thinking about it. Heck don't hardly have any hair left and would probably drown trying to carry them today, thought about skinning them in the field but cold wet beaver and freezing temp didn't sound to good. Some real memories and no regrets. Bob

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 07:14:08 pm »
Itch, itch, scratch.lol
Bjrogg
Been there done that. Fox always have em. First thing they get sprayed with raid a stuck in a garbage bag till everything is done crawling
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 08:37:49 pm »
Absolutely no regrets here either.It never stopped me from coon hunting and toting many a coon out of the river bottom over 30 years.I always used a bale string twine with for skinning out in the woods which doubled as an extra dog lead and a sling to carry coon out.Carrying 8 big coon skinned out in the fat while leading 2 dogs with a rifle on board in foot deep snow back to the truck makes for just another night.One of thousands and thousands of nights.Like a job.
Usually fleas will leave a cold host and just fall off the coon on a half mile walk back to the truck.You see it leaving a just killed rabbit lay dead for a while.I remember though just a couple of them on your head will feel like a dozen.....Ha Ha.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 06:28:33 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2020, 07:07:02 am »
Beaver season ended today and I ended up with 3 on my little nuisance trapline, Land owner dug a hole in damn and nobody came to fix it so I do believe I caught them all until another couple move in.  Bob