Author Topic: Book on axe forging  (Read 2477 times)

Offline zoomer

Book on axe forging
« on: March 21, 2020, 09:22:56 am »
Is there a book fully of partly dedicated to forging axes? I see a lot of videos but no literature. Thanks.

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Re: Book on axe forging
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 10:51:48 am »
Forging axes in particular? Not that I am aware of. Axes are not particularly hard things to forge, they just take a lot of muscle. You'll likely want a striker to help if you don't have a power hammer or other heavy tools. If you're doing it by yourself, try to start with a piece of steel that is about 8"x1"x6-8". Drill a starter hole for your eye then drift the eye to shape. Start drawing out your cutting edge about 1/2" from the drifted eye and work out towards the edge. With just a hammer this is going to take a while but it is doable. Work in a semicircular pattern as you go towards the edge of the steel with hammer strikes. This will develop your cutting edge and you can start to draw the steel down and out thinning it as you go. A chunk that large will take a while to heat up in a forge and you're only going to be able to work it for a minute maybe two before losing your heat and needing to put it back in the forge. Don't get discouraged, heat it up, hit it as many times as you can and keep working. You'll get there but expect to have a sore arm and shoulder if you want to do it in one sitting.

Using a striker with a larger sledge hammer is the best way to work it. They don't need to have much experience just be able to use a hammer and hit the steel where you tell them to. 4-6 pounds seems to be the magic number for most folks.  have fun and good luck!
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline zoomer

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 11:50:57 am »
You have provided me with all the instruction I wanted. Thank you very much.

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 11:57:43 am »
You have provided me with all the instruction I wanted. Thank you very much.

I'd be glad to help any way I can. Just message me here if you need help.
At the forge- 406-781-9098