Author Topic: COVID Sinew  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
COVID Sinew
« on: April 08, 2020, 11:48:31 am »
My wife usually practices social distancing whenever I process animal products, so I thought this would be a good time to thaw out some sinew, clean it up and dry it.  I've never done a sinew bow, but there is one in my near future.  I've been reading a bit about it and watching some videos.  Not having done this before, I don't really have a feel for how far the sinew will go, but I'm hoping I can try out a couple of bows with what I have.  Even though not as primitive, I'm thinking I want to go with a waterproof glue, and I also had some Sturgeon skins that I cleaned and dried that might end up on a bow if it survives the shoot-in.

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: COVID Sinew
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 12:42:58 pm »
You have enough sinew in that box for a few dozen bows. Looks like nice stuff.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 06:32:56 pm »
That is good to hear Pearly Drums.  I have a bow I started years ago that was coming in under weight.  Probably a good weight for me now though as I haven't shot in a while.  In your experience does the sinew add anything to draw weight?  Or just make the bow less likely to break?  I am thinking of giving it a try for my first sinew - maybe about three layers - and having an idea of how far the supply might go helps.  After that, I may consider a California style wide short bow to sinew.  The next step I guess is to start pounding and shredding some of it.

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 03:21:35 pm »
Three layers of sinew will add some weight to your bow. As it gets older it will continue to gain weight.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?