Author Topic: Hole in node?  (Read 1808 times)

Offline paulc

Hole in node?
« on: March 22, 2020, 09:28:50 am »
A bug hole in a river cane node pretty much means the shaft is no good for an arrow right?

Paul

Offline DC

Re: Hole in node?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 10:14:49 am »
I would think so but Korean arrow makers punch a hole right by the node to let steam out. You don't know what the bug did inside though.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 10:44:31 am »
When I collect hill cane I discard any that I find with holes in them and typically this hole is 1/8" or less. After they have dried and I separate in like sized groups I find others and break and discard them. Also when I send out any or give them to folks I tell them to do the same. It's just not worth the injuries they and cause.
 The holes I'm talking about in the hill cane and likely the cane you are using is insect damage and I don't know the extent of that damage. The holes that the Asian cane arrow makers are putting in the cane is to relieve the internal pressures caused by their heating process so I think this is an apples/oranges situation. It's not the hole necessarily but the internal damage that could be present in the naturally occurring insect damage.
I would definitely discard any raw cane with a hole in it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 11:22:18 am »
Have you ever split one open to see what's in there?

Offline paulc

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 11:28:47 am »
Thanks all for confirming my suspicions...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 02:43:15 pm »
DC, I have and found a small grub. Probably whatever insect it comes from drills the hole and lays the egg then the grub lives inside, doing whatever it does until it matures and the cycle continues.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC