Author Topic: i think i got an idea.  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
i think i got an idea.
« on: March 23, 2020, 11:33:48 am »
ok ill try to keep this short.

so I was reading something in the arrows forum and someone said something about a heavier arrow going faster than it should (i dont remember if there was just one arrow that did this or 2). he said something about the arrow being one of the best arrows for that bow. he went on saying how he has no idea how this worked and that it just happened randomly. the difference was about 10 grains (heavier).

so heres what i know
1. this arrow went faster for having more weight
2. it flew amazing on his bow
3. it was the same spine as the other arrows
4. it was basically identical to the other arrows except for weight.
5. the weight was a good bit heavier which should have made it slower but it went faster

so im just wondering, could this have been because of energy transferring to the arrow easier? I learned in school that the heavier (or more mass) a object is/has, the more energy you can put into an object and the longer (or shorter. there is a place where heavy becomes too heavy.) the object will keep the energy.

think about it like this if you have a plastic ball that is super light and you throw it, it will probably go slow and slow down fast because of the wind resistance, gravity, wind, or something like that and fall short. if you have a baseball now thats the same shape and you chuck it the same way (as hard as you can) it will probably go super fast and far because it is able to hold a lot more energy and keep the energy and not be affected by wind, gravity, wind resistance. now what if we have a metal ball, you throw it as hard as you can and the ball goes a ok distance, like a shot put. it went way slower than the plastic ball. the plastic ball went way slower than the baseball.

what i see in that example is a hill on a graph, you add a little weight, the arrow can store more energy = it goes faster (because of the positives of more energy outdo the negatives of it having more weight). you add a little bit more = it goes slower (because the weight now outdos the positive of it having more energy.)

does this make sense? im not good at explaining stuff.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 11:36:59 am by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline jeffp51

Re: i think i got an idea.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 02:12:18 pm »
Some comments:
1. What you are describing is called momentum.  I watched a youtube video (the source of all authority) where a guy was experimenting with arrow weight.  over relatively long distances, he found his heavier arrows actually hit higher on the target.  So while F=MA  means the heavy arrow coming off the bow is probably going slower, its added mass means it will be less susceptible to  drag due to wind resistance. It should also penetrate deeper into the target because it is harder to slow down  Also, a heavier arrow  will more efficiently  transfers the force of the bow into forward motion, even if at some point the final acceleration MUST be less  because of Newton's second law  F=MA.

2.  Therefore, my lighter arrows clearly move faster coming off the bow than my heavier ones (although I don't have a chrono, so it is all perception) might indeed be more accurate, better for hunting. 

3. Your example with the three balls is right on the money.

4.  Archery is all about applied physics.  You could teach a whole class around it.

5.  I like how you are still young enough to use the word "chuck" and get away with it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 06:31:25 am »
If you want check out Dr. Ashbys' testing and findings.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 07:20:36 am »
I think you're on the right track, Russell.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 09:59:55 am »
I wonder how far he was from the chronograph. if he was too far maybe resistance already took ahold on the lighter arrow slowing it down but the heavier arrow kept its speed. this makes a lot of sense because while the initial speed of the lighter arrow would be faster, the speed at 5, 7, 9, 15, 20, etc (just examples) the lighter arrow would slow down to a point where the heavier arrow would be faster because the lighter arrow would have had more trouble with wind, wind resistance, and stuff like that while the heavier arrow wouldn't have.

ill check it out Ed.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 06:18:23 am »
Understanding momentum like jeff said and KE is good to know.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

bownarra

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 12:45:48 pm »
Also until you shoot with a shooting machine there are too many variables to accurately say for certain which arrow is doing what.