Author Topic: Black locust sapling bow recommendations  (Read 834 times)

Offline silent sniper

Black locust sapling bow recommendations
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:12:17 am »
Hello everyone,
I have some questions about this small sapling bow I am working on. I have a black locust sapling truck that I split in half for billets. I have worked the grain down to the heartwood and the entire width is under 2”. What I am unsure about is the high crown and general overall design to make with this bow. I don't have much experience with self-backed black locust, so I was not sure if it could handle this much crown? The stave has a few knots on the top on the crown but nothing too ugly. Should I keep the belly wide or reduce the width to take the strain off the back and just make the bow longer?

I love laminated bows and I could just as easily decrown the billets and add a bamboo/wood backing if that would be a better option. I just wanted to give it a chance as a self-backed bow before I go to the backed option.

Let me know what you think would be best.
Thanks
Taylor

The check in the billet is only a few inches long and will be removed when I splice the billets together.
[/url]Untitled

[/url]Untitled
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 11:00:58 am by silent sniper »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Black locust sapling bow recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 10:41:53 am »
A crowned back is a good thing for locust. Several builders prefer to "trap" the back on flatter staves. I would only narrow it enough to get shoulders on it and not abrupt edges where the back transitions to the belly. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HH~

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:54:56 am »
Smaller rings here would be of benefit I think.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 12:21:01 pm »
I'd say to keep the belly flat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 02:03:06 pm »
Crowned sapling bows generally perform better than you might think. I would go dead flat belly. Leave the crown as it is. The tree thought it was strong enough when it grew like that :)
Good luck and get the tiller dead nuts on right off the bat.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 02:38:25 pm »
Flat belly is good but leave it longer by a good 2 inches. Leave the crown. No need to chase a ring either. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 07:55:53 pm »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help