Author Topic: Non-Backed Red Oak Board Bow  (Read 4329 times)

Offline 5up3rm4n

Non-Backed Red Oak Board Bow
« on: March 24, 2020, 05:18:59 pm »
I decided to start a new thread for this bow i am making. here are the pics of what i have so far

any suggestions would be welcome.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 06:15:55 pm by 5up3rm4n »

Offline mmattockx

Re: Non-Backed Red Oak Board Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 05:30:08 pm »
Looks like a good start. Suggestions? Post the pics in your thread instead of just links, it is a lot easier to see what is going on instead of jumping back and forth from the thread to the pic link.

Mark

Offline 5up3rm4n

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:37:42 pm »
Looks like a good start. Suggestions? Post the pics in your thread instead of just links, it is a lot easier to see what is going on instead of jumping back and forth from the thread to the pic link.

Mark
I tried but i think my pics are too big and i didnt know any other way to do it with so many pics. Any opinions on the grain? Pretty sure its a good board.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 05:39:01 pm »
Well, I am glad you are  starting a board bow but if that first photo is the back then even a backing won't save it as there just are too many run outs.

Check my site.
http://traditionalarchery101.com

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 5up3rm4n

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 05:44:07 pm »
no, thats the top limb of the belly

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 05:55:34 pm »
I tried but i think my pics are too big and i didnt know any other way to do it with so many pics. Any opinions on the grain? Pretty sure its a good board.

You would have to downsize them to upload them to the site, but you can also link directly to the hosting site using the 'insert image' button above the text window on the left hand side under the B (for bold) button. I tried it on your links without success; you may need to do it from your logged in account for it to work properly. You need the link to be a jpg or other photo format for it to work. Just the link you posted doesn't do it for me. I use imgur for my photo hosting and it works with no problems.

As for the grain, the sides look ok (to my very inexperienced eye) but the bit of the back I can see looks like you may need to back this if you want it to survive the experience. A better shot or two of the back would help with seeing what is there.

Mark

Offline 5up3rm4n

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 06:24:01 pm »
ok, heres the back

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 06:36:09 pm »
I'm going to let the experts comment (which is everyone but me, pretty much), but I think you will need to back that or chase it down to a ring and get rid of all that cathedral grain for this to not fail on the back.

Mark

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 07:26:23 pm »
That's terrible grain even with a backing. Check my site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 5up3rm4n

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 07:38:32 pm »
That's terrible grain even with a backing. Check my site. Jawge

Terrible?  :'( I checked out your site. there arent enough reference images to make sense of some of it for me being new to this. guess i am going to fiberglas reinforce it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 08:02:09 pm »
Why not just do it right?  Just think straight lines on all sides.  It doesn't have to be more complicated than that image.

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 08:38:57 pm »
if you are going to use a flat or plain sawn board, (which is the orientation of the growth rings you have), then it is best to have the ring lines on the edge of the limb straight as possible. Those "flame tips" stepping down the back are a dead give away.

grain may not always run straight parrellel with the length of the board on account of sometimes grain spirals up the trunk as the tree grows, or the board may not be cut from the log true. this condition is hard to see from just looking at growth rings. a board that splits on a diagonal is an example.

one thing for sure though is that grain will not dive up and down through different years growth rings

I have had good luck with buying a split plain sawn board that had straight ringlines on the edges and ripping 3/4 by 3/4 strips parallel to the split, then flipping the pieces and gluing them together so that the edge rings are on the back and belly. if the board is sawn this way it is called quarter sawn or rift sawn.  but not commonly found in the big box stores.

of course a wide board sawn from the middle of the tree will have quarter "sawn'\" ring orientation at the edges and a flat/plain sawn center.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:50:05 pm by willie »

Offline 5up3rm4n

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 09:27:27 pm »
ok...good idea on ripping it. thanks

Offline Mikkolaht

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 09:16:01 am »
I'm going to sound controversial, but you can make a working bow from that with a backing.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 09:40:43 am »
I'm going to sound controversial, but you can make a working bow from that with a backing.

you most definetially can but there is no way your gonna make me shoot it. ive had too many board bows blow up in my face because of bad grain even when backed. got a scar on my chest to prove it.

id say you got a low chance of that thing surviving especially because youll bet splinters that will pull out from the back  where the grain runs off.

i would just get a better board and make a bow, then trade for a bow blank that someone has made on the trading post (people are very nice). youll have much more fun with a stave or bow blank than you will with a board and youll learn a lot more.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.