Author Topic: A visit to the Amish sawmill  (Read 1187 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
A visit to the Amish sawmill
« on: March 24, 2020, 10:04:06 pm »
The other day I got a call from one of Sams' boys Amos wanting to know what he could do with a beaver tail skin.Apparently their yard dogs caught one nearby.While there I took some pictures of some of their handiwork.
Horse drawn carriages.Priced anywhere from 6500.00-10,000.00 depending on how fancy they were.Made mostly from ash,hickory,and plywood.

Paint booth

While there also Sam told me he had and elm log he was getting later he wanted me to look at.Kind of look forward to that also.Sam can identify for his purposes wood as a log immediately.He does have a generalzation about identifying elm though.There's red elm and all others are gray elm.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:04:13 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: A visit to the Amish sawmill
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 12:13:00 am »
Very nice work!  Excellent craftsmanship!  That price is without the horse? (lol). I don't recollect ever hearing of a bad piece of workmanship from the Amish community!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 05:07:30 am »
They use standard bred horses always in front of carriages and buggies.He has a good eye for those too.Shoes them all himself too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 06:18:54 pm »
I roof with amish and mennonite and a complete horse and buggy set up can run you around what you would spend for a couple year old average car. But most cars nowadays wouldnt outlast a good horse and buggy.  Are they are probably new order amish, huh? Good guys to work for. They dont think much about safety tho...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 10:57:54 pm »
They have their standards.New order or old order.I've worked with them before too.
The fancier enclosed carriages they make have brakes and lights.Mostly used during the winter.Slow moving vehicle sign on back.
I'm always impressed with their ingenuity and relentless desire to figure something out.Real craftsman too.Able to make abut anything.
BowEd
Ed