Author Topic: Question of length?  (Read 2035 times)

Offline TimBo

Re: Question of length?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 12:37:45 pm »
If it were me, I would 1. do a bulbous handle and make the fades work as Pearl said 2. aim for 27" 3. keep it for myself and use a longer stave for the trade!

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2020, 12:43:57 pm »
So if I were to sinew would 2 dry oz. Shredded be enough?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 12:44:26 pm »
Look a few pages back at Gordons, "Black powder group raffle bow". Its a perfect example of a semi rigid bulbous grip. It effectively allows for a 3-4" shorter bow for a given draw length. Gordon is the man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 12:54:03 pm »
Look a few pages back at Gordons, "Black powder group raffle bow". Its a perfect example of a semi rigid bulbous grip. It effectively allows for a 3-4" shorter bow for a given draw length. Gordon is the man.

Exactly. Lol you beat me to it lol. I’m a sucker for a slightly bendy handle/bulb grip.
These days I make my arrow passes as narrow as possible(usually1/2”) to make spinning arrows/tuning and arrow flight easier.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:20:07 pm by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 01:16:22 pm »
Sweet. Thanks guys. I'm peeling the back off of a longer one right now. With a better plan.lol

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 03:19:55 pm »
You do what your comfortable with.A person gets to know the wood in the bow your tillering.I've never been one to be afraid of breaking a bow though and will usually but not always push the limits.
For a trade bow to be sent I usually shoot it close to 500 times anyway.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Yellowstave

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 04:12:39 pm »
I just dont want to make a bow that only has that much stress on it for some poor soul to pluck an eye out with. I went ahead and chased a ring on a 65 inch stave just to feel more comfortable with the reliability of my trade bow. I want it to shoot a million shots before it breaks.lol

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 04:24:35 pm »
Yes they should last a lifetime I agree or most anyways until a person gets bored and makes a different design or uses different wood.Usually after a while a guy gets quite a few bows hanging around.
If the design/tiller/and draw weight are in sync it will.Your being good and self responsible and that's a good thing.
Picture shown by Ryan is not a slightly bendy handle bow.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 05:19:20 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Bubbabowyer

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2020, 05:49:34 pm »
Derrick, if it were me. I'd strongly consider putting some sharp hooks on the ends, sinew backing it and keeping it! That bow would definitely make me sad to give away.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2020, 08:25:00 pm »
what Pearl said,,is good advice