Author Topic: hickory width  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
hickory width
« on: March 25, 2020, 04:21:22 pm »
I just did a bellysplit on my a hickory stave i have but the smallest parts of the back is 1 1/4" is that too small? if it is ill need to find a way to work around it because this belly split has some beautiful knots/character that i think would look very pretty.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hickory width
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 05:26:45 pm »
How long is the stave and what"s the intended draw length?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 06:02:56 pm »
It has been my experience that 1 1/4" follows the sting a good bit, 1 1/4" hickory stave backed with bamboo rivals a bamboo backed osage bow if glued in a reflex to start with.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 07:49:50 pm »
Leave it ling and heat treat it well and it’ll work fine. I made a couple long narrow hickory bows that shoot well with little set, about 1”. They are both about 70” long between the nocks, bend through the handle, and 1 3/8” wide. One pulls 75# at 27” and the other pulls 70# at 29”. So at 1 1/4” wide I’d imagine up to 60# is definitely doable. And heat treat it deeply while your at it.

Kyle

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 08:00:36 pm »
Good advice from Eric and Mo.One thing that'll happen with belly splits depending on size of tree your stave was from is that it'll have a higher crown than what you split from if you take it down to 1 ring on the back,and then the issue of how big your rings are come into question too.With hickory that's good with a crowned back.It's already tension strong.My hickory here is very thin ringed stuff,but not all hickory is the same.
A picture or better description of these knots your talking about you like might be an issue but more than likely not.If you back it with bamboo you'll have to flatten it.With heat treating you won't.Either way will make a great shooting bow.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 08:46:30 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed