Author Topic: Ash b osage recurve  (Read 996 times)

Offline snedeker

Ash b osage recurve
« on: March 26, 2020, 09:38:54 am »
Hi there.  This is one of my periodic check ins.   I made this 62" long, ash backed osage, slightly r/d w curved tips.  tillered to 55# at 27.- months ago.
After some shooting recently I noticed that the lower limb took on a bit of set relative to the upper limb.  Hard to see in this pic where lower limb is on top.  I notice the bow is cocked a bit  relatively to the floor tile line I used.

But its pretty noticeable when held in the hand.     It is all finished and everything and has taken on a nice darkened patina.  I was thinking a 1/2 inch taken off the lower limb might do it.  Opinion?

Dave
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 09:46:58 am by snedeker »

Offline DC

Re: Ash b osage recurve
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 10:02:08 am »
I see a "kink" at the upper(lower :D) fade. I don't know how to fix that. Can we have an unbraced picture?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 10:36:50 am »
The top looks very flat. If your reflex is slight then that limb should look more like the lower. I wouldn't suggest making it stiffer by cutting it, I would tiller it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:33:26 am by PEARL DRUMS/PEARLY/PD/DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 10:41:53 am »
I see that but wonder if it is optically caused buy the back touching the tile line there.   I'll try some other picks.

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 12:44:41 am »
Impossible to tell without seeing it unbraced, really also without knowing the glue-up profile I can't tell where the set is.
If you really don't want to alter the patina you could cut a half inch off the weaker limb BUT you would still have a 'new' looking tip after re-fitting an overlay, cutting string grooves, sanding etc.

Offline snedeker

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 12:06:29 pm »
I'll try to get some better shots.   But I think it looks fine un-braced.  I had the usual problem of needing to scrape down the lower limb a lot at the end. Maybe went a bit too far and it didnt show until the bow worked a little bit.  I don't recall it happening before.  And I am on bow 100+

I figure I can live with a little color change on just the tip area