Author Topic: first attempt  (Read 6026 times)

tlee

first attempt
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:44:16 pm »
Well, I've done about as much damage to this 1/4" piece of glass as it or my thumb can take. I percussion flaked it with a steel bopper I made and pressure flaked it with a 16 penny nail. It got a severe step fracture that I was not able to fix, but I kept working on the other side and just got through trying to notch the good side. I don't even have any "tool" yet and I'm addicted. I went to Lowes and got 2' of #4 bare copper to make a pressure flaker, any advice on making it would be great. also does it make any difference what type of material the bopper is made out of?. I also got my hands on some deer antlers....any advice on how I go about using them?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: first attempt
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 06:21:58 pm »
Looks good for a first attempt, especially using steel tools. You're much better off doing percussion with something softer that will "grab" the platform, like copper or antler. I like antler myself. To make billets from your antlers, just cut the base end to a comfortable length, take off any tines and round off the crown in a dome shape to use as the striking surface-it's the best, densest part of the antler. For the copper wire, twisting with a vise and drill will harden it a bit, then just find a piece of wood about broom-handlediameter, drill a hole in the end, and put a piece of wire in it. Hammering the point onto the wire is better than grinding it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 10:07:45 pm »
Take that advice :). Get rid of the steel tools and use antler, stone, copper (never tried wood) they will all grab the platform for that split second it takes and not send that rock or glass shattering wave into your work..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 10:15:44 pm »
# 6 wire seems to take better flakes for me  #4 is a lil too big. thats just my opinion though. use what works for you. copper end caps make good boppers. check out the scalp creek video on boppers on you tube.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

tlee

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:25:46 am »
thanks for the advice guys, I got a handle for my copper wire this afternoon and tried it a little and can tell a difference. Question, when starting with a broken piece of scrap 1/4" glass should I start by percussion flaking it into a triangle shape and then pressure flake or just pressure flake the piece into shape?

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 12:28:18 am »
Great looking start.  My first attempt looked like I was holding glitter, (I'd never seen glass actually explode like that before  :-\ ).  Take the advice of the pro's on the tools and that piece will shine. 

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 01:17:34 am »
with glass percussion flaking is tricky business. no thicker than that glass is you can probably just pressure flake it.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 09:30:56 am »
With 1/4" glass, you don't need any percussion. Just stitch (zigzag) the edges and start pressure flaking.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 09:53:22 am »
Roger that! On the edge stitching, and use an Ishi stick for starters to run longer flakes. Ishi stick is more or less same thing as a hand flaker but with a longer handle (say around 18" or so). You'll need a book, video, or sit with someone to learn to use it though..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

tlee

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 11:15:33 am »
I am going today to get a broom handle or dowel sticks . I think I screwed up....On the pressure flaker I made....I glued my #4 copper in to my handle only to realize it gets dull kinda quick. Did I read on here somewhere to use a set screw??. Should I drill a hole in the end and one on the side to be able to interchange the wire? I also got my hands on some flint and what I believe to be chert from the same friend that gave me the deer antlers. the flint and chert seems awful "dry" after some preliminary percussion flaking. Not sure if it's suitable for knapping. Thanks again for all the input....will keep posted with better pics on my progress.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 12:52:01 pm »
tlee: Here's the hand flaker I made and have been using for years. Broom handle, ground wire (from and old power pole). Drill the holes as deep as your bit will go and cut wire a little longer than that. Put a set screw in the side and you can feed wire out as it gets used. Peice of bailing wire around the end keeps handle from splitting out. Ishi stick the same way ;).

[attachment deleted by admin]

tlee

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 03:38:28 pm »
Thanks for the pic cowboy, I'm headed to the garage right now to make an ishi stick and a flaker.