Author Topic: Arrow wood heads up  (Read 1681 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Arrow wood heads up
« on: March 29, 2020, 08:20:12 am »
I make carpenter bee traps out of 4X4 posts. last year I found 8' 4X4 douglas fir posts at Home Depot to make my traps out of. Some of the posts had very tight straight rings with no runout which would be perfect for making arrow shafts from.

These posts are kiln dried but I found them to have a high moisture content in the middle.

I went back to HD yesterday to get a post to make this years traps, I didn't look through the pile for tight ring stuff but I know it was there. The post I bought was amazing, a couple of knots but at least 6 ft of perfectly clear wood with spectacular rings for making arrows from. The rings on this one were a little wide but there was tight ring stuff in the pile.

Check it out, almost no runout end to end;

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: Arrow wood heads up
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 08:53:29 am »
Never shot doug fir.  I hear it's somewhat comparable to sitka spruce?  That sure is a pretty post...almost makes one want to try a doug fir bow, doesn't it?   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

bownarra

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 12:39:28 pm »
Is that a quarter sawn face or is it slightly rift?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 09:08:43 pm »
I bought one of these at Home Depot last year and ripped a bunch of arrow blanks.  The ones I have finished shoot pretty well.  I got three good sections out of the 8' post.  Not sure how it compares to Sitka spruce though - I have always wanted to try that wood since reading Jay Massey's arrow making chapter in TBB.