Author Topic: What would you guys like to see in a build along?  (Read 9881 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
What would you guys like to see in a build along?
« on: March 29, 2020, 10:40:41 am »
I make quite a few tools. I have the ability to make anything from steel. Is there anything that you guys would like to see in photos in a build along? I always try to make time for myself between custom orders and the forge is hot nearly every day so give me some ideas of what you'd like to see and I will try to accommodate it for you guys that have some tools. Or maybe a "every man has these tools" build, I can do that as well. I started out like everyone else with VERY simple tools and was still able to build good quality tools and knives. It's not about what you have, it's what you do with it.

What I would like is if we do this for a few of you to follow along and build along with me! Post some pictures as you're working. We can do a knife of any style, any tool imaginable but remember, this needs to be something accomplishable without advanced tools. So what say you?
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: What would you guys like to see in a build along?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 12:50:33 pm »
Maybe start us out with the "clamshell" blade or a single bevel hatchet! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Handforged

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 05:10:03 pm »
a hatchet might be a little too much for most without a forge to jump on but I'm game. I'm hoping some folks will chime in here with some ideas.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 09:42:07 pm »
dunno if you can do this but something i was wanting to do with my rinky dink ol forge is something out of rebar. like a rebar broadheads, or those little heart keychain thinks that people recommend you start with.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 09:47:24 pm »
San Mai 2lb felling axe
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Handforged

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 09:49:45 pm »
San Mai 2lb felling axe
I just made one, although I think mine is closer to 3 pounds.... HA!

Offline Handforged

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 09:51:24 pm »
dunno if you can do this but something i was wanting to do with my rinky dink ol forge is something out of rebar. like a rebar broadheads, or those little heart keychain thinks that people recommend you start with.

I'd rather do something useful. Rebar broadheads are a no go for me, first off I don't have any rebar...HA! I don't use it.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 09:52:42 pm »
simple knife then. just something fun thats easy and useful. i just want an excuse to get my forge out!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 09:58:32 pm »
simple knife then. just something fun thats easy and useful. i just want an excuse to get my forge out!

What about a trade style knife from round bar stock?  We can do a hidden tang on it so that you guys can use about anything for handle. Someone mentioned to me a 1700's style knife, which would be about right for this style...  You guys can source small diameter coil spring steel I am guessing fairly easily? 3/8- 1/2" diameter is perfect.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 10:06:13 pm by Handforged »

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 10:02:13 pm »

I'd rather do something useful. Rebar broadheads are a no go for me, first off I don't have any rebar...HA! I don't use it.

Well make another, slightly smaller one and photograph it lol 😂 mine got stolen outta my truck so I need a new one ;D
Moving shops so everything is packed up, even the good old forge and all my trusty bandsaw.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Handforged

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 10:17:25 pm »

[/quote]

Well make another, slightly smaller one and photograph it lol 😂 mine got stolen outta my truck so I need a new one ;D
Moving shops so everything is packed up, even the good old forge and all my trusty bandsaw.
[/quote]
 Check your PM's..

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 10:23:31 pm »

[/quote]
 Check your PM's..
[/quote]

I got ya.

A proper sized Hog splitter would be cool to see, maybe made out of a canister of ball bearings..... actually damn, that’s like 7lbs of bearing hahaha not sure anyone carries that many. Ummm....... or maybe like some sort of tool. I think knives we’ve all seen and done but if you do make one as a build along/follow along. Make it from something weird like coat hangers and razor blades ya know? Haha Thatd be cool.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Handforged

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 10:27:17 pm »
well I was going to try to make something that a few here that have small forges or even no forge could make as we go.  I can go full retard if that's what you guys want to do....HA! I have a 52100/ explosion pattern Damascus jelly roll already started.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 10:31:42 pm »
That would be cool, the explosion Damascus would look cool as a fighter of some sorts.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Handforged

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 10:35:31 pm »
like this?