Author Topic: Easter quiver  (Read 3601 times)

Offline M2A

Easter quiver
« on: April 04, 2020, 07:25:55 pm »
Hi folks. With my trade bow in my vice cooling down from heat treating I was trying to figure out something to do with my time. Not sure why, but I have become fascinated with using natural materials for color. My ideas dont always work out, but the few that do become another arrow in the quiver to use for bows, arrows, or whatever. Ideas is maybe not the best word, Im not trying to take credit for something others have known for a long time, but its cool when a new natural resource become known to me.

Usually I keep a piece of wood in my truck and apply the colors to see how they hold up over time. Doing things a bit different this time. Made a small basket quiver to use as a side quiver. I always use walnut and bloodroot and did so on this piece. I also am trying the inner bark of barberry for yellow, Real pleased with how bright it is and have high hopes for it in the long run. The purple is from petunia flower petals, cant recall the name of the flower the red came from. I think they will fade or brown out but looks pretty good now.

Was a fun project. Not sure I'd hook I to my belt to go hunt whitetails with this exact color combo But I think it came out well. And if it gives me some more options in the future it will a huge success. Any comments suggestions welcome.
Mike           
IMG_3503 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr
IMG_3504 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr   

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Easter quiver
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 08:01:58 pm »
Sweet looking quiver.Nicework.I like using those side quivers myself too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 10:54:45 am »
I was expecting one like Ed's bobcat only made out of a pink bunny. ;)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 04:15:50 pm »
DC....Those bunnies just come in chocolate.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 05:03:23 pm »
Very nice. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline M2A

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 06:42:01 am »
Thanks fellas.

DC- after I was finishing up the thought did come to me about making it similar to the one pictured below with using one of those purple dyed hides :D.....However after I see how the colors hold up I would like to give it out to some youngster that may have an interest in archery(it would be better than the cardboard tube and duct tape I had as a kid), But they may not see it in my same humor 8)
Mike
IMG_2750 by Mike Allridge, on Flickr 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 11:30:53 am »
Not exactly primitive, but a coat of shellac or clear spar varnish may help keep the colors from fading some!  Very nice work!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hans H

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 11:46:01 am »
Mike, I like this.  very nice
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 04:38:03 pm »
Wow that weave is excellent.  What is the quiver made from?

Offline M2A

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 06:02:07 am »
Thanks guys!
Thank you for suggestion Hawkdancer, I do have a can of Deft on my bench and thought about it, but its more about seeing how they hold up, to know know what to expect if I use again.

Aznboi, the colorful quiver is made from materials I purchased from a basket making supply store. The stuff is rather cheap. You can use lots of locally sourced materials, like the weeping willow in the above pic.

Mike