Author Topic: Why are competitive archery bows so complicated?  (Read 4494 times)

Offline johnwalker1

Why are competitive archery bows so complicated?
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:04:58 am »
I've seen many videos of competitive archery and the bows tend to look like nuclear fusion laser guided missile launchers with a bunch of poles and what not attached to the bow.What are all those features? Also, why do the archers shoot only when that little switch moves, what point does it serve? Why not use just a regular bow which I imagine showcases skill even more so than that mesh of gismos.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Why are competitive archery bows so complicated?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:12:10 am »
If you are trying to hit a dime at 20 yards like competitive shooters are those contraptions are necessary for stability and consistency. If you are trying to put an arrow in a 6" circle at 20 yards like most hunters they are not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:42:19 am »
It all makes sense when you compare bows to race cars. You have back yard mechanics who just want to get to the end of a 1/4 mile under 12-13 seconds and then you have guys who want to get there in under 4 seconds. Only one of those style cars is capable of that. The one with all the fancy stuff bolted on, not the 73' Nova with headers and a cam.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 09:46:43 am »
What do you mean by a regular bow?   

Offline Flntknp17

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:10:30 am »
It all depends on how accurate you want to be and how repetitive at what distances.  World class target recurve shooters can consistently hit a baseball sized ten ring at 90 meters......I don't think that's possible without the equipment they use.  Yes it is unquestionably possible to hit that target with a "regular bow", but not over and over and over and over without fail.  Its all about promoting consistency and forgiveness in the bow system.  If you make a poor release with a regular bow, you'll completely miss the target at 90 meters.  With a competition bow, a combination of the advanced stabilizers and arrow rest will significantly reduce the magnitude of the miss to maybe an 8 or a 6 instead of a zero.  The race car analogy is excellent....some folks like F1 and some folks like offroad 4x4 trucks.  They're just different goals and different rules.

I shot competitive target archery for many years while still hunting with my beloved selfbows.  The reason that I enjoyed target so much was because of all the tinkering that went into tuning one of those bows and keeping it running at peak efficiency.  I really loved to tinker with all the gadgets in the same way that a muscle car guy loves tinkering with an engine. 

Matt

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 10:12:36 am »
The archers with all the gizmos on their bows are amazing shots with any bow in their hands. They would whoop our butts with our own self bows and arrows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 11:05:29 am »
I've seen many videos of competitive archery and the bows tend to look like nuclear fusion laser guided missile launchers with a bunch of poles and what not attached to the bow.What are all those features? Also, why do the archers shoot only when that little switch moves, what point does it serve? Why not use just a regular bow which I imagine showcases skill even more so than that mesh of gismos.

Realize what you are seeing is a specific class of competition archery that is shot in the Olympics.

1) The poles are stabilizers and they help keep the bow steady before, during and after the shot.
2) The little switch is called a clicker and they use it to ensure they pull the same draw length every shot.
3) They use what is allowed by the rules. If you plan to win you must take every possible advantage within the rules or the guy next to you will beat you.
4) There are competition classes for 'regular bows', they are called barebow and traditional. No stabilizers, no clicker, no sights.

Mark

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 12:11:28 pm »
The reason that I enjoyed target so much was because of all the tinkering that went into tuning one of those bows and keeping it running at peak efficiency.

I see that that the limbs can adjust the tiller  + - . in what circumstances would you wish to change that adjustment?

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 12:21:54 pm »
I see that that the limbs can adjust the tiller  + - . in what circumstances would you wish to change that adjustment?

If you believe Jake Kaminsky, he uses it to fine tune feel of the string on his fingers. Elsewhere in his tuning series he also comments that he sometimes uses it to change feel of the bow but once set he leaves it alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoZSRPqpS3E

Mark

Offline HH~

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 12:49:17 pm »
I shoot SB's competitively. No draw checks, stabs , clickers, snickers. Nothing but wood. I have shelfless Boo backed ones I shoot to 75m with 600grn arrows. Shot them against glass longbows in National events. Good stuff. I like it.

Shooting SB comp is not for the weak of heart. Hunting with one even less.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 12:24:39 pm »
I have some bare bow hot shots that shoot my selfbows real close to the same accuracy . They do have cut in shelf's though. Arvin

Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

bownarra

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 12:57:50 pm »
The reason that I enjoyed target so much was because of all the tinkering that went into tuning one of those bows and keeping it running at peak efficiency.

Depends on exactly where you put pressure on the string and how too.

Offline bassman

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 02:02:37 pm »
I made this statement on another forum,and go mobbed for it. Their is target accuracy, and hunting accuracy. Many replied that accuracy is accuracy. To which I replied, and 8 ring shot at 20 yds, will kill your deer. That is not the accuracy target shooters are looking for. They strive for consisitant x rings, and 10 rings. When you shoot bare bow class their are no clickers, or stabilizers.Tough to stay in that yellow middle at 20 yds. consistantly no matter who you are especially  when money is on the line ,and the pressure is full bore. Check out Lancaster bare bow class on utube for 2018,2019,2020. Different top money winner every year.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 02:25:00 pm »
I made this statement on another forum,and go mobbed for it. Their is target accuracy, and hunting accuracy.

No reason you should get mobbed for that, it is a simple statement of fact. The level of precision required to compete at the world level is astounding. For indoor the recurve archers shoot at 18m (19.8yds) and the 10 ring is 4cm (1.57") in diameter. In Las Vegas this year Brady Ellison shot the first ever recurve 900 in the qualification round. That is 90 arrows in a row in the 10 ring. For anyone that doesn't realize how hard that is, pace off 20 yds and then look at a golf ball as your target (golf balls are ~42mm in diameter). Now imagine putting 90 arrows in a row into that golf ball.

Anyone who thinks their accuracy with a trad bow shooting wood arrows without sights is in a similar league is delusional.

Mark

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 06:41:40 pm »
      Byron Ferguson and some others come to mind...Ben Pearson? It can be done with usual trad gear at a very competitive rate...You just have to put in the time and be gifted...I've seen Byron turn aspirins into dust and Ben could stick his wife's flying wedding ring to a target on the regular...It can be done and has been done... A 10 ring wouldn't stand a chance with these guys...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7ZDiyKvcoM

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;