Author Topic: Broadheads for bear?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Broadheads for bear?
« on: May 21, 2020, 03:12:00 pm »
Aside from a heavy finished arrow weight,  any special consideration for broadheads for bear hunting?  I'm thinking single bevel at a 3:1 length to width ratio.

As a follow up (I can never keep this stuff straight), when sighting down the arrow from the knock, which way should the bevel slant with right wing feathers glued on with a right helical clamp?
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Broadheads for bear?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:20:29 pm »
Right wing, right bevel.   3/1 ratio is good for penetration but for heavy bone you might consider a little less length to beef up the point. Maybe 2,2.5/1
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 05:19:56 pm »
Right wing, right bevel.   3/1 ratio is good for penetration but for heavy bone you might consider a little less length to beef up the point. Maybe 2,2.5/1

Thanks, makes sense on the ratio. 

So for that right bevel...when looking down the arrow as if I'm shooting it...should I cut thr bevel on the right side of the broadhead?  From right to left, so that the bevel slants left?  Or do I have it backwards?
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 09:09:52 pm »
Yes, looking down the arrow at the broadhead the bevel will be on the right side of the broadhead.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 11:19:05 pm »
I believe Artcher1 recommended a bit of a tanto point as well, not too long ago.  Good luck on the hunt!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 09:10:03 am »
Thanks, guys.  Hunt will be in the fall so I have plenty of time to do a little experimenting.
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 11:58:19 am »
Yeah, a needle point can bend easily if bone is hit. The Tanto tip is more chisel like and with the bevel and rotation of the shaft can split bone causing more damage to the bear.