Author Topic: Racking  (Read 1246 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Racking
« on: March 31, 2020, 08:16:02 am »
Currently my staves are piled in a heap ontop of a wide bench wilth an occasional sticker to allow air rhrough the pile.  My roof is lower than a stave is long at 5'10" and currently I have to pull out the whole heap to sort through it for anything.  How do you rack your staves? Need some inspiration now I have time to do something about it.

Offline TimBo

Re: Racking
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 09:39:30 am »
I have a lot of mine in the garage rafters.  It just takes a couple of bits of scrap wood (they don't need to be very thick), then you can slide some staves in that space.  Of course, the more they are worked down, the more you can fit.  I will try to get a picture up later today.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 09:28:57 pm »
Oops - forgot to post these! 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 11:09:56 pm »
I have 2 stave racks.  I made one that fits under my workbench.   It's on casters and is mounted by a pivot point on the front right corner.  The other end swings out and gives me easy access to the staves.  It utilizes 100% of the space under my bench.  It can hold around 75 staves.   Every now and then I'll rotate the staves and put the newer ones on bottom and the more seasoned on top.

The other rack is in a storage building.  It can hold several hundred staves.  It's on 9 heavy duty casters.   I've thinned most of these staves out and now use the bottom half to store live edge osage boards.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 11:44:13 pm »
Neat!  That's really when you move the wort or must from the cooker to the fermenter! >:D >:D. Didn't realize that you could do that to staves, and rough outs!   (lol) (lol) >:D :BB :' :BB >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 05:09:59 am »
Thanks both.  I ended up running a pair of v-frames from two roof-trusses that are about 5" apart then I mounted four pairs of battens on them.  Not pretty but I racked up 50 staves and threw about another 20 billets and bits and bobs across them and it usefully used up about 50 feet of scraps from my odds-and-sods pile.  Thanks for the tip about the gaps in the rafters, although I had filled those up long ago, I've moved on to tie-wrapping my longer staves below them, but now I have to duck as they brush my head when I walk under them. >:D  Everything is still jumbled up though, so one week I'll have to pull everything out and get organised!

Offline neuse

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 07:13:20 am »
Dang, I think I am doing good when I have 3 or 4 staves on hand.
Although I think I may have found some Osage to cut, maybe my stash will grow to 10.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 09:58:44 am »
My favourite part of this hobby is finding staves.  I may cut 8 staves in a year but  I only make 2 bows on average and I've been doing this for 5 or 6 years so the collection has built up.  Most of my collection is very, very knotty and now Im getting fussy, so a lot of my stash may end up being repurposed.  You just need to keep your eyes open and take lots of long walks through unmanaged woodland

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 07:30:26 pm »
bit late to the party but here's what i did

not sure how well you can see it with all the staves in the way but i have a strip of steel running down the 2x4 stud and angle iron welded to the strip. decking screw at every opening