Author Topic: Finally got off my arse...  (Read 6436 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Finally got off my arse...
« on: March 31, 2020, 08:42:05 am »
I spent 4 hours yesterday fitting this take down sleeve of a set of yew billets for Trapper Rob. I'm sure Rob is happy to see the progress on his bow after so many months. I haven't glued the sleeves yet but I will start shaping the limbs today.
I need glue for the sleeves. Is there an appropriate locally available glue for this application like 2ton epoxy or whatever. I'd hate to have to buy a quart of glue that I have no other use for. This is the first takedown sleeve I've installed so any other info will be helpful and appreciated.
 It been so long I almost forgot the pics...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bob Barnes

Re: Finally got off my arse...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 08:56:42 am »
MT-13 Takedown Bow Sleeve Glue in 5 oz tubes is what 3 Rivers sells for the sleeves.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 09:15:41 am »
MT13 is what I had the best luck with. I had a few failures before I bought MT13.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 10:38:23 am »
oK guys, thanks. Sounds like it's MT13.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 11:35:38 am »
Look in good )P(

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 11:59:15 am »
oK guys, thanks. Sounds like it's MT13.
Pat are these only glued in place? Seems to me a mechanical connection, a pin or couple of pins would be needed along with the glue. It would certainly prevent failure if the glue didn't hold. I can't imagine a 1/8" brass or stainless pin would cause any issue in the sleeve location but would give a good amount of stability to it. Just random thoughts from a blacksmith who has never made a take down so, a grain of salt.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline HH~

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 12:40:46 pm »
Look gud thus far Pat.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 12:53:42 pm »
Not sure how much you cut into the back for the male section.  People talk of them popping apart there if the bend goes into the fades at all.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 01:02:35 pm »
Put me down for once. Lesson learned.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 01:03:21 pm »
Handforged, Both pieces of the sleeve, one steel one brass, fit the tenon on the bow quite tightly. I'll have a problem getting them apart to glue them. A pin in part of the outer sleeve(steel) might be an option but one in the brass(inner) might hamper the assembly/disassemble because of their close fit. I'm going to have to polish the outside of the brass piece to ease the assembly/disassembly(takedown feature).       
 A question For our yew experts...This bow will be about 66"t/t(64"n/n), about 1 1/4" wide at the fades and so far out until the last 6" of each tip. Draw weight will be 45#-55#@26" to 28". My question is how thick should(can) the sapwood be. Now it's about 3/8" thick. Would 1/4" be better? There are a couple of 1/4" knots but nothing I'm worrying about.
  Pat, I'm using 3" fades to hopefully alleviate any chance of that.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 01:15:45 pm »
Pat I would prefer the 1/4" sapwood. I like at least 2/3 of the limbs to be heartwood. You will probably have a thickness of at least 5/8" when your done.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 03:47:39 pm »
That's what I was thinking, Pearlie but wanted a little reassurance.  ;)
Thanks

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2020, 04:08:52 pm »
I agree wit htose dimensions and definitely the bending into the fades at all....my failure was because I braced it too early forcing the fades to bend. They were the nicest osage billets I've ever had as well and it still pains me to think about it!
Good plan with the three inch fade length and your width taper is also a good idea for the same reason.
As long as the ends of the billets are super dry (so no further shrinkage over the years) and you use MT13 I've found pins to be unnecessary.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 05:21:08 pm »
Be gentle with the sleeves Pat, if you have to to much polishing to get them to fit, they will tick or even pop when you shoot it, so gentle is the key, no tapping or clamping. Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 09:11:05 pm »
bownarra, these billets are quite dry.
 Yeah, Pappy, I've heard the horror stories. I can see slight rub marks on the brass sleeve when I pull it apart so that's where I'll use very fine emery cloth to polish it lightly. I was gentile enough getting both pieces fitted so neither part warped while fitting.