Author Topic: Finally got off my arse...  (Read 6440 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Finally got off my arse...
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 09:52:11 pm »
Lookin good Pat, get’n into some good ole yew 😁 looking forward to see the finished piece
If you want you can go pretty thin with the sapwood if you want since the weight won’t be too much. But like Chris said 1/4” is usually the rule a thumb:)

oK guys, thanks. Sounds like it's MT13.
Pat are these only glued in place? Seems to me a mechanical connection, a pin or couple of pins would be needed along with the glue. It would certainly prevent failure if the glue didn't hold. I can't imagine a 1/8" brass or stainless pin would cause any issue in the sleeve location but would give a good amount of stability to it. Just random thoughts from a blacksmith who has never made a take down so, a grain of salt.

I know a lot of guys just use the proper adhesive, but i pin mine, just for that added whatever lol
Copper rivet through the steel sleeve and a brass pin for the brass sleeve. Once it’s all cleaned up can’t hardly tell the brass has been pinned in.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:05:33 pm by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 11:15:09 pm »
Very interesting project!  Seems a bit above my skill level at present, though!  I will watch with interest, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2020, 12:30:42 am »
Hi Pat, looking forward to your project!
Be gentle with the sleeves Pat, if you have to to much polishing to get them to fit, they will tick or even pop when you shoot it, so gentle is the key, no tapping or clamping. Pappy
This is why I like to make my own stuff.

Not sure how much you cut into the back for the male section.  People talk of them popping apart there if the bend goes into the fades at all.

+1!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2020, 10:25:04 am »
I've taken the limbs down a bit, both back and belly. The sapwood was at about 3/8" so I've reduced it to about 1/4" now. The overall limb thickness is about 9/16" and I can barely get any bend from each limb. I'll be sticking to the belly now and see where it takes me. I'll post a few pics later today.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2020, 11:14:24 am »
 I've reduced the limbs but realized after putting the bow back together that one limb is considerably stronger so I'll work on it more to get things evened out. Because of the shape of the bow near the handle you will see the limbs are deflexed slightly. My intentions are to reflex the limbs, at least the outer limb. One limb has a upward kick in the last inch. I'll just try to incorporate that in the added reflex or just live with it.
 Here are a few pics...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2020, 11:43:29 am »
 It may feel very stiff right now, but it can change really quick with yew. Go slow sir. Feels weird giving advice to the guy that taught me so much :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 11:52:00 am »
We're all in this together, Mr. Pearlie.  ;)
I was reducing each limb separately and trying to flex them to see if and how the bend was. Once I put it together and had more leverage I realized my first method was not good, gave me false info. So slow and steady now for sure.
I still haven't glued the sleeve parts to each limb yet but they are tight enough together it seems to work OK.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 02:58:44 am »
Lookin good bud!
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 08:53:09 am »
Thanks, Bryce. I'm taking it slow and steady just trying to get back in the swing of things.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2020, 09:26:12 am »
Very good start to your bow Patrick.Like the starting profile.Good job.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 06:46:25 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2020, 06:42:53 pm »
Really looking nice Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2020, 10:14:05 pm »
 Thanks guys. Rob, I'm enjoying the build once I got at it.   :OK
I'll have to put more work on hold until I get the glue for the sleeves. I could hear the wood to metal noises today while exercising it so I decided to wait until the sleeve parts are glued in place.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 07:57:47 am »
Looking good Pat.
Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2020, 10:04:50 am »
I got the sleeves glued on a few weeks ago. I ended up using JB Weld. I couldn't justify using the MT40, $35 for 2, 5oz tubes that I might use an ounce or two. Anyway, it's done.
 Yesterday I started reflexing the tips. Got the first one done and let it cool over night. You will see the small wedge on the right in a few pics I used for realignment...

...and the results...

...and this morning. I had to use a wood clamp with "C" clamps and Stilson wrenches to eliminate a bit of twist as I heated it.

I used oil on the limb tips before heating. I think it holds the heat better and helps distribute the heat better. Just my theory.
I'll post the results after everything cools down well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2020, 08:55:11 am »
This is what she looks like today.