Author Topic: New caul.  (Read 874 times)

Offline jamesh76

New caul.
« on: April 09, 2020, 08:43:31 pm »
Made my caul tonight. I don't
plan to make any bows longer than 64". So that's its length. I use 6 and 12" bar clamps. Can bend 2 at a time  on top. I offset the boards  so of I just want a straight stave with no bend i can do that also. Needs a bit more sanding on the top. I'll get that done tomorrow.  This gives 3.5" at 64"

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: New caul.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 09:00:41 pm »
Very useful piece of equipment. I have 3. I use them a lot. I don’t make mine for a certain length. I have a half one with a recurve that I use to put my static’s in one limb at a time. I have two about four feet long that are for center portion of bow. One is flat and one has a small about a inch and a half of reflex. I like this combination. It’s pretty accommodating for wide range of lengths and designs.
I would like to make another half one with just a slight recurve
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 09:04:23 pm »
Very useful piece of equipment. I have 3. I use them a lot. I don’t make mine for a certain length. I have a half one with a recurve that I use to put my static’s in one limb at a time. I have two about four feet long that are for center portion of bow. One is flat and one has a small about a inch and a half of reflex. I like this combination. It’s pretty accommodating for wide range of lengths and designs.
I would like to make another half one with just a slight recurve
Bjrogg
very nice. I have 2x 2x6 about 5-6' long I plan to make something out of.

Offline jamesh76

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 09:43:32 pm »
Here's that piece I'm not sure of....... heard it pop a couple times on caul.  Not hot enough?