Author Topic: Who's the dummy now? Turkey day, any day.  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Who's the dummy now? Turkey day, any day.
« on: April 01, 2020, 12:27:18 pm »
My wife and I are hermits (self proclaimed) so we do well together. When things are on sale at the grocery store we stock up. Case in point, Turkeys. When turkeys are cheaper than dirt for the thanksgiving season we get as many as we can for the freezer. I think we still have 4 and a couple of hams. I took one out to thaw a few days ago and brined it in the fridge for 48 hours. My brine is usually garlic, soy sauce, Pepsi cola, and crab boil seasoning. Then when it is ready to put in the oven I mix melted butter, crab boil and pepsi together and inject it into the turkey.  I have had the turkey in the oven since about 5am and will let it cook a while longer so that the wife and I can eat turkey for a few days. I might even make some cornbread stuffing. Does it need to be thanksgiving to eat turkey and dressing? Not for us, My stomach doesn't know what day it is...

Social distancing is a way of life for us. We rarely see anyone on a normal week. So this is no big deal for us.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline chamookman

Re: Who's the dummy now? Turkey day, any day.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 03:03:39 am »
Interesting Brine - would like to try it  -C- - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Re: Who's the dummy now? Turkey day, any day.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 03:13:48 pm »
I know it sounds sort of unconventional but it really is a great brine and injecting the turkey with it makes it better.
At the forge- 406-781-9098