Author Topic: Sealing bows from moisture  (Read 902 times)

Offline cutty

Sealing bows from moisture
« on: April 03, 2020, 11:21:32 am »
Does moisture enter a sealed bow mainly at the two nock areas? Seems like that area would wear off the most with the string contact.

Offline RyanY

Re: Sealing bows from moisture
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 11:36:40 am »
No finish perfectly protects against moisture. Even if the knocks are unfinished there wouldn’t be enough moisture travel from there to the rest of the bow to make any difference. The string materials generally used get worn out before any noticeable wear on the wood of the bow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 11:39:05 am »
Any finish only reduces the hygroscopic rate of the wood but does not eliminate it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

bownarra

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 11:47:57 am »
If you use a finish like tung oil you can add a coat at all time.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 11:56:28 am »
...but you still won't stop the hygroscopic rate. Some woods are affected slower than others like osage and other oily woods but nothing will stop it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 12:46:54 pm »
Like everyone said but additionally most strings are waxed and even if the finish was worn off it was probably replaced with a well rubbed in layer of wax which is probably a better sealant.

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 06:48:51 pm »
On self bows I use a Bee's wax,linseed oil, and turpintine boiled,and mixed together, but I think the bows still take in moisture. It is just the nature of the beast.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 07:25:48 pm »
I  hope people realize that wood is pretty hollow from end to end.   If the end pores get unsealed moisture can go right through the stave through those tubules.

Get a roughed out stave and stick an end in a bucket and blow through it like a straw.  Bubbles will come out of it.

Offline darinputman

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 07:31:01 pm »
I started using tru oil on arrows and bows a couple or three years ago, before that I used the massey finish substituting denatured alcohol for acetone. If I lost an arrow with the massey finish and found it a while later the arrow not always feathers would be fine. With tru oil arrow is not so great under similar circumstances. I'm just finishing up about 15 arrows using the massey finish for the first time in a while.

Offline cutty

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 09:43:02 pm »
I thought moisture would enter the fastest from the end grain, which is where the nocks are.